WD's 10K rpm 'Raptor'...the way forward

Reaction score
OK, so I snapped up the western digital 80Gb HDD when i found out that it was the first with an 8Mb cache. I reckon it's the best hard disk I've ever had...fast and quiet. Now they're all following WD's lead. Then i thought that my obvious move for my new rig (currently being planned) was a 120Gb WD 8Mb cache drive...7200 rpm of course...perhaps looking into a little RAID configuration. But wait, what's this I see? Now WD have announced the 'Raptor' - the first 10,000rpm drive...supposedly faster than any current IDE or SATA drive and equalling the speed of SCSI disks like the Cheetah U320 but for far less money.

Not only that, but the raptor will also have the 8Mb cache AND carry WD's 5 year warranty. OK, it's only 37Gb of storage....but that's definitely going to get bigger.

here's where to get more on the spec if you haven't already heard about these...
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/WD360GD.asp

Ask a Question