WD Raptor or WD Caviar in RAID setup?

John Doe

Rarius said:
Personally I use my PC for work. Creating virtual machines eats up
diskspace. I think I have over 72GB of them alone.

That is irrelevant to the general population!
Then there is the graphics and video I do for work. That must be
another 110GB at least. Then there are the SQLServer and Oracle
databases. Thats another 40GB or so...

Then there's all the porn you download!
If you are only playing with your PC then I suppose a 150GB will
suffice.

You are pulling nonsense out of your hat! Unless you download lots
of porn or other entertainment media, 150 GB is a lot of disk space
for the vast majority of users!
If you are intending to do anything serious with it then a big
fast drive is always going to beat a small fast drive!

You are full of it!
And I have proved time and time again that Raptor is NOT the only
fast drive on the market!

That's the bizarre translation of what you were originally saying,
but of course that's true!

John Doe

Rarius said:
"John Doe" <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message

I am getting sick of YOUR narrow minded attacks on myself and
Dasilvor.

You not knowing what an OEM hard drive is speaks for itself!
You have shown yourself to be rude, arrogant and
unwilling to listen to anyone elses point of view.

I'm still listening for user reviews that support your excitement
about Samsung F1 hard drives! The user reviews I've seen and posted
above in this thread suggest that they are unreliable and not well
supported!

Let's see it!
You can't even think of an original nick!

Is that supposed to be a personal attack?!
I answered the original posters question. I didn't expect this
kind of personal attack. I just don't understand immature idiots
like you who seem to get off on rubbishing other people's
opinions.

Because your opinion is rubbish!
The original post asking for advice wasn't even from you. All I
ever said was that it was worth looking at other drives like the
Spinpoint F1 and not just consider WD Raptors.

Looking up at the subject line, the original post was asking about
Western Digital hard drives in RAID setup!

John Doe

Rarius said:
So now you can talk for the thousands of other homebuilders...

That's my impression from homebuilders in this group! But certainly
there are lots of homebuilders in the world! Where do they hang out,
Rarius?!
You certainly cant speak for me, and I have been self-building PCs
since the 386! And been doing it as my job for most of that time!

That's amazing, Rarius, considering you don't even know what an OEM
hard drive is! Wow!

John Doe

DaSilvor said:
I'm sorry it has degenerated into this.

Sometimes silly claims get questioned and debunked. That's something
USENET is about. Tact is great and I respect it, but we can be
straightforward/blunt here too.

"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood..."

Matt

I'm thinking we are talking cross purposes here.
John, Given you used $'s below, you are in the US?
Matt you used £'s in your message, so you are in the UK?

Yes I am in the UK
The US and the UK obviously have different laws about warrantee.

First off in the UK when you buy something you have a statutory 12 month warranty. Also your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer; so if it goes wrong in the first 12 months the retailer is responsible for sorting it out. They may decide to send it to the manufacturer, but they must still provide you with a 'fit for purpose' product. They cannot get out of this, regardless of what they tell you. They can have the unit repaired or they can replace it with a new unit, it's their choice. After the statutoryperiod, you are in the hands of the manufacturer, but they advertise a full 36 month warrantee, so they have to honour it.
It's either that or the trading standards and the like will get involved and the publicity alone is not woth the hassle of replacing the hardrive.

Matt, if you are concerned with the warrantee then contact trading standards, they will give you the official position on warrantee and the like.

If the manufacturer provides a 3 year warrenty, thenthat's as far as
my concern stretches. The point of getting WD drives is, in my
experience, they have been reliable and quiet. I got an IBM Deskstar
back in 2000 when they were by far the fastest IDE drives on the
market, but that drive didn't last for more than 2-3 years and was a
lot noiser then what I have now. I get the feeling this Samsung drive
would be a similar thing.
I will repeat my original assessment, that I would not buy a 150gb harddrive for £115, no matter how fast it is. I haven't checked your motherboard details so I can't confirm Rarius's comment on the raid controller, but if it doesn't have one, just get a good harddrive at a reasonable price. If you are loading lots of data on a one off basis, then the speed of the drive will make a difference, all be it a small one. If you are reloading the same data then you may be better off with more ram (You haven't said what spec your machine is, so I'm guessing that you are not fully loaded with ram)..

I am building the PC in the next few days, but I will have 4GB of RAM
in the machine.
I'm not familiar with Newegg, John.  What is it, please?  I guess it's a forum of some kind, but I know no details.

It's a US website that sells computer stuff, but also has an excellent
feedback section I have found very useful.

Kind Regards,

Matt

John Doe

I just noticed both you (DaSilvor) and Rarius are posting from
Pronews.com. Would you like to plead "coincidence"?

Shadow39

John Doe said:
Says a nym-shifting troll in agreement with someone who claims
to have no posting history at all.

Posting history means shit for nothing when its a history full of putting
people down, bashing, and general rudeness across the board. 95% of your
posting history is insulting people and telling them they are wrong with no
basis to back it up, and that makes YOU the troll!

John Doe

Shadow39 said:
"John Doe" <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message
Posting history means shit for nothing when its a history full of
putting people down, bashing, and general rudeness across the
board. 95% of your posting history is insulting people and telling
them they are wrong with no basis to back it up,

Sounds like the self-portrait of a nym-shifting troll. I might not
be politically correct, but at least I don't try to run and hide
from my posting history.

John Doe

DaSilvor said:
"John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
There was I crediting you with noticing that we were both posting
from the same email server and you hadn't.

In fact I should have but hadn't noticed that. But that wouldn't
lead me to the conclusion you're either nym-shifting or new to
USENET anyway, that's realized by not finding a posting history.
Anyway, you've already called me a liar in this thread,

That's because you denied doing weird things. I think you do weird
things.
I'll tell you what the connection is.

Rarius is actually my network admin, and provides the email
server.

Your network administrator doesn't know what an OEM hard drive is.

Matt

I am building the PC in the next few days, but I will have 4GB of RAM
Good luck. I have just rebuilt my machine with an Abit 35 Pro Mobo, Q6600
(currently clocked to 3.1ghz) and 4gb of ram.  One thing with the ram,
unless you are running a 64bit OS it wont be able to see all the ram, my XP
Pro can only see 3.25gb ram, but I'm sure you probably already know that.

What graphics card are you planning to run?  I'm still using an ATI  1950
pro. It's getting past it's best but can still play Armed Assault ok. I'm
looking at the new ATI 4850, what do you think?

A Radeon 4850 is just about within my budget, so I'm going for one of
those. Opinions I've gathered on other groups suggest this is a wise
move :)

Matt

As for RAID... According to the GigaByte website, your mobo doesn't have
onboard RAIOD controller... unless you want to spend as much on a hardware
RAID card as you do on the drives themselves, forget it. You won't see any
noticable speed improvement.

Are you sure?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...erboard&ProductID=2810&ProductName=GA-X48-DS4

Under the heading "Storage Interface" it says:

"Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10"

Also, the specifications on CNET describes the board as having "Intel
Matrix RAID Technology"

http://shopper.cnet.com/motherboards/gigabyte-ga-x48-ds4/4014-3049_9-33034370.html#p5

Kind Regards,

Matt

John Doe

"Rarius" <rarius rarius.co.uk> wrote:

[please work on the author introduction part that supposed to be up
here, when you have time of course]
OEM is a phrase that is ill defined and misused.

The term "OEM" is properly used and understood by most regulars here
in this group. And the term as we use it is also used by many online
merchants.
It originally meant the primary manufacturer such as an aircraft
or car manufacturer.

Sure, and an "OEM hard drive" is an "OEM part".
In the computer hardware environment, it is usually taken to mean
components intended to be used in building a system, not items for
sale by themselves.

In this computer hardware environment, we use it to mean components
that are not packaged in a retail box and might not come with
accessories. Maybe not precisely the same way an OEM gets parts, but
a fitting definition IMO.
As such you, or I, should not strictly be able to buy OEM
components.

Nowadays I can buy lots of things on the Internet that I would have
much trouble finding locally. Special order and OEM parts are
readily available. I can buy are reel of surface mount resistors
from Digi-Key if I feel like it (and that even predates the
Internet).
Unsurprisingly reviews of the Spinpoint 1TB F1are rather few and
far between as it is a very new drive...

There are lots at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102

John Doe

Would you mind learning how to introduce the prior author(s).
You can probably type 60 words/min with one hand!

Actually I don't type, I talk.
Do you even know what I am talking about when I use terms like
VirtualMachine, SQLServer and Oracle?

Yes, but I fail to understand its relevance to this context.
Yes 150Gb is a lot of space, but with games coming along that take
up 10-15GB each,

Umm, No. But I already used games as an example and you dismissed it
as "only playing".
it won't be long before 150GB is considered too small for all but
the "web browsing and a bit or word" type machines!

That would be shocking news to my next door neighbor who uses
Windows XP on 15 GB of a 45 GB hard drive (the other 30 GB for two
hidden copies of Windows). They use it for their home business,
Microsoft Office, and Web browsing. Of the 15 GB partition, about 8
GB is used.
Rarius
Network administrator, senior software engineer and
ex-hardware support engineer... total over 18 years of
professional experience.

Welcome to USENET.
Here you will learn new terms like "OEM hard drive".

Matt

My mistake... I must have mistyped the motherboard code.

May I ask what you have decided to do?

At the mo, I'm going with a pair of 500GB WD drives in RAID 0 with
regular backups or RAID 1 if the performance hit isn't too hard.

Kind Regards,

Matt

John Doe

Rarius said:
At the risk of starting another argument with John Doe...

Of course you're a troll.
I mentioned this "discussion" with another mate of mine earlier
today and his reaction was "Western Digital? Caviars? Ohhhh
Nooooo! Horrible MTBF!"... so there you go... talk to different
people and you'll get different answers. All brands have good and
bad times.

And somehow your alleged conversation with one other person is supposed
to counter the online written opinions of a hundred real users, most of
them verified owners of the Samsung F1 hard drive who say it is
unreliable and poorly supported.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102

110 reviews

Excellent 61 reviews 56%
Good 10 reviews 9%
Average 7 reviews 6%
Poor 11 reviews 10%
Very poor 21 reviews 19%

John Doe

Actually... No, the term OEM is MISused by almost everyone in the
computer hardware community... so much so that the term has
effectively changed its meaning.

Happens all the time. Human beings determine the meanings of words.
Dictionaries try to keep up, and most are very limited in their
coverage. Many words are used differently in a subgroup of human
beings, and that usage is perfectly valid. Even if this group's
usage of "OEM hard drive" were different than the mainstream, it
would be valid unless it were used in front of a larger audience.

John Doe

"Rarius" <rarius rarius.co.uk> wrote:

Would you mind learning how to introduce the prior author(s)?
Put simply, I am pointing out that there are uses of a computer
that require more than your beloved 150GB that do not include
downloading porn.

That's not the first time your argument has shifted from
emphatically silly to reasonable.