WD "Black" 1TB or 2TB good as an OS disc?

The Henchman

I'm using Windows 7 64bit on an older E6300 system. Used for alot of video
playback and desktop publishing and photo editing. No games.

I want to replace my Samsung 5 year old 250 gb with a WD Black 2TB or
equavilent Seagate.

Are these drives good as OS drives? Any concerns with them. I've used WD
greens as storage. good drive quiet, not as slow as I was led to believe
but then again they are storage.

Rod Speed

The Henchman wrote
I'm using Windows 7 64bit on an older E6300 system. Used for alot
of video playback and desktop publishing and photo editing. No games.
I want to replace my Samsung 5 year old 250 gb with a WD Black 2TB or
equavilent Seagate.

I'd replace it with a bigger Samsung myself.
Are these drives good as OS drives? Any concerns with them.

Yes, plenty of complaints about WD and Seagate drives.

The Henchman

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
The Henchman wrote
I'm using Windows 7 64bit on an older E6300 system. Used for alot
of video playback and desktop publishing and photo editing. No games.
I want to replace my Samsung 5 year old 250 gb with a WD Black 2TB or
equavilent Seagate.

I'd replace it with a bigger Samsung myself.
Are these drives good as OS drives? Any concerns with them.

Yes, plenty of complaints about WD and Seagate drives.

Yousuf Khan

I'm using Windows 7 64bit on an older E6300 system. Used for alot of
video playback and desktop publishing and photo editing. No games.

I want to replace my Samsung 5 year old 250 gb with a WD Black 2TB or
equavilent Seagate.

Are these drives good as OS drives? Any concerns with them. I've used WD
greens as storage. good drive quiet, not as slow as I was led to believe
but then again they are storage.

I use a 1TB drive as my boot drive. However, I have the OS portion
partitioned off from the data portion, as making an image of a 1TB+ OS
partition would be suicidal. I've assigned about 128GB to the OS
portion, and the rest is data and a little bit of Linux too.

Yousuf Khan

Ed Light

I use a 1TB drive as my boot drive. However, I have the OS portion
partitioned off from the data portion, as making an image of a 1TB+ OS
partition would be suicidal. I've assigned about 128GB to the OS
portion, and the rest is data and a little bit of Linux too.

Me too. 30 to Win 7, 20 to XP, and the rest to volumes in an extended
partition, except for some at the end for experiments -- copying, say,
Win 7 down there and booting it and trying stuff that might break it
before doing it to the real one. I would image it first also so I can
get back to normal easily, and without affecting the data. I run some
apps as Portable Apps from the data partition. For instance, Firefox and
Thunderbird (they both have to be up to call each other properly). At
least, I would put the mail store of a mail program in the data
partition. My Documents is able to be directed to a partition other than C:.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at
(e-mail address removed)
Thanks, robots.

larry moe 'n curly

The said:
I'm using Windows 7 64bit on an older E6300 system. Used for a lot of video
playback and desktop publishing and photo editing. No games.

I want to replace my Samsung 5 year old 250 gb with a WD Black 2TB or
equavilent Seagate.

Are these drives good as OS drives? Any concerns with them. I've used WD
greens as storage. good drive quiet, not as slow as I was led to believe
but then again they are storage.

Great in-depth reviews at http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/

How slow were you led to believe WD Greens would be, and was that
person a flake? :)

larry moe 'n curly

Ed said:
I read something about Samsung being bought by another HD company, and
the support going to hell. That scared me away from getting an F4 Eco.

How can their tech support get any worse when it's already the worst
among the HD makers? I've never been treated nearly as badly as with
WD, Hitachi, or Seagate.

Franc Zabkar

Great in-depth reviews at http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/

How slow were you led to believe WD Greens would be, and was that
person a flake? :)

ISTM that WD's Green drives are Advanced Format models, so this means
that they derive a 10% benefit in transfer rates simply due to 4KB
sectoring. AISI, a non-AF drive that spins at the same speed would
need to have a platter density that was some 20% greater in order to
match this performance gain.

- Franc Zabkar

John Turco

Rod said:
You can till buy Samsung branded hard drives right now.

Seagate's acquisition of Samsung's HDD operation is sad news,
in my view. Do you foresee a significant decline in quailty
control, as a result of the takeover?

Rod Speed

John Turco wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Seagate's acquisition of Samsung's HDD operation is sad news, in my view.

Yeah, wouldnt have been allowed in my country.

We now have just two hard drive manufacturers, WD and Seagate.
Do you foresee a significant decline in quailty control, as a result of the takeover?

Hard to say. It isnt even clear exactly what has happened to their previous absorbtion
of Maxtor. You can no longer buy Maxtor branded drives, but it isnt clear if they still
sell what used to be Maxtor branded drives with just a Seagate brand on them.

For a hell of a long time before that you used to be able to buy a bizarre range
of Seagate branded drives of the same capacity and that appeared to be because
the operations they absorbed just kept carrying on regardless, churning out drives
even tho it would have made a lot more sense to kill of one or the other of the products.

Certainly Seagate was the first to make drives in china. Its less clear if they
will continue to make the Samsung drives in Korea and keep flogging them.
If they do, I dont see why they wouldnt continue to be of the same quality
as they were when Samsung still made them.

John Turco

Rod said:
Yeah, wouldnt have been allowed in my country.

Why? Because Seagate is monopolizing the hard disk industry?
We now have just two hard drive manufacturers, WD and Seagate.

Whoa, I hadn't realized such a thing! It's strange that, Japan and Korea are both out
of the HDD business; the market is virtually owned by a pair of U.S. companies, now.

Quite a reversal of the modern trend towards Asian dominance, eh?

Of course, it's only fitting, seeing as how the HDD is largely an American invention.
IBM had pioneered many of the device's innovations, over the decades.
Hard to say. It isnt even clear exactly what has happened to their previous absorbtion
of Maxtor. You can no longer buy Maxtor branded drives, but it isnt clear if they still
sell what used to be Maxtor branded drives with just a Seagate brand on them.

Before I'd settled upon Samsung (in 2004), my lone 3.5" puppies were from Western
Digital and Maxtor.
For a hell of a long time before that you used to be able to buy a bizarre range
of Seagate branded drives of the same capacity and that appeared to be because
the operations they absorbed just kept carrying on regardless, churning out drives
even tho it would have made a lot more sense to kill of one or the other of the
products.

"Conner Peripherals" was among Seagate's earlier victims, as I recall. In 1996,
around the time of their merger, I'd bought a Conner "TapeStor" internal "QIC"
420MB tape drive (floppy controller).
Certainly Seagate was the first to make drives in china. Its less clear if
they will continue to make the Samsung drives in Korea and keep flogging them.
If they do, I dont see why they wouldnt continue to be of the same quality
as they were when Samsung still made them.

One can simply hope so!

Rod Speed

John Turco wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Why? Because Seagate is monopolizing the hard disk industry?

The law is about a significant reduction in competition, not just monopolys.
Whoa, I hadn't realized such a thing!

Yeah, the sale of Hitachi's hard drive operation to WD is relatively recent.
It's strange that, Japan and Korea are both out of the HDD business;
the market is virtually owned by a pair of U.S. companies, now.

Yeah, presumably the pricing has been so aggressive that they have
decided that its not worth staying in that market segment anymore.
Quite a reversal of the modern trend towards Asian dominance, eh?

Yeah, memory has in fact gone the other way, no US majors anymore.
Of course, it's only fitting, seeing as how the HDD is largely an
American invention. IBM had pioneered many of the device's
innovations, over the decades.

But they did with memory too.
Before I'd settled upon Samsung (in 2004), my lone 3.5" puppies were
from Western Digital and Maxtor.

Yeah, I had WDs before I changed to Samsung. Never had any Maxtors,
basically because their warranty involved receipted delivery to Singapore
which was often a substantial part of the cost of the drive.
"Conner Peripherals" was among Seagate's earlier victims, as I recall.
Yep.

In 1996, around the time of their merger, I'd bought a Conner
"TapeStor" internal "QIC" 420MB tape drive (floppy controller).
One can simply hope so!

It does appear to be how Seagate operates. Hard to see why they do tho
with the substantial R&D duplication that must be involved with an operation
like hard drives that have to keep doing R&D at a hell of a rate. Maybe its
not a major part of their costs tho, hard to say.