WBEM & WMI Errors

RPA

Since installing SP2 on a Windows XP Home OS I have found problems in
utilizing several Windows service related programs.

1st - Accessing LAN Network Connections takes close to 10 minutes for the
main screen and several more for tabbed access to repair function. Almost as
long to close the program. (The first time this time I received a message to
the effect that "WBEM Error. Features not available. Upgrade WMI to a newer
build." That message no longer appears. Now I get: " Cannot collect
information. Cannot access the WMI software. Windows management file maybe
moved or missing."

2nd - After typing msinfo32 in Run, I get a message "Server Execution
failed. Cannot connect to Windows Management on the requested computer. You
may not have sufficient permission to start or access the windows Management
Service. Please contact your Systems Administrator." This is a stand alone
home computer with only my personal user profile which has Administrative
Rights.

I regrettably do not remember the two other instances where this happened
but both were similar in that they referred to WBEM errors and advised
upgrading WMI.

How would I upgrade the WMI in question?

Thank you for any help -- Robert

p.s. I'm using a DELL Dimension XPS R400, 384 mg Ram, Windows XP -Home, SP2.
Clean install on freshly formatted HD two weeks ago with original XP Home
disk and then immediate SP2 update before drivers, etc. All recommended
updates downloaded and installed.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

RPA said:
[...]

Hi

Try (using e.g. Start/Run, or a command prompt):

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll

If that doesn't fix it, a lot of good information in this one about
repairing WMI:

From: Ivan Brugiolo [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Windows XP WMI Reinstall
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi
Date: 2004-04-21 00:46:56 PST
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

WinXP Pro only:
If nothing in the link above helped, you might want to follow
the procedure here and see if it helps:

How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222