Wanted Portable Free jpg Slideshow viewer

jberry

I'm looking for a portable slideshow app.

I have a fairly large number of jpgs that I want to put on a CD,
together with the viewer and multiple slideshow files.

I love Irfanview, but it doesn't work for this task. It is large, it
must be installed, the slideshow files require absolute addressing, so
if you specify D: and the user's optical drive is V:, well, too bad.
You can write the slideshow as an .exe, but I want the recipients to be
able to access the images for whatever reason, and to determine how
fast they want to view the slides.

Kool Playa looked really good, because it also allows the play of sound
files at the same time. The new beta doesn't require absolute
addressing. However, if you don't happen to already have the codecs
required by Kool Playa, even the cognoscenti were vague on how you
would get them. It's geek-friendly, only.

The best I've found so far is WTI - Where's That Image, v 1.4. No
sound, full filenames required, but at least it it portable. And fast.

Any other suggestions?

Thorkild Dalsgaard

I'm looking for a portable slideshow app.
I love Irfanview, but it doesn't work for this task. It is large, it
must be installed, the slideshow files require absolute addressing, so
if you specify D: and the user's optical drive is V:, well, too bad.

IrfanView can do the work without beeing installed on the target PC
(but it requires Copy IrfanView files to the CD.)
It does NOT require absolute addressing, relative will do.

Extract from IrfanView help:

How to start IrfanView slideshow from a CD?

2. Method: Manual or special slideshow CD:

2.1. Copy IrfanView files into the root CD folder. (You can also copy an INI
file "i_view32.ini" with your settings.)

2.2. Copy your images into the CD folder called e.g. "images".

2.3. Create a TXT file (in slideshow dialog or using Notepad) with the names of
the images. If your image files have names like "image1.jpg", "image2.jpg", etc.
the TXT should look like this:

..\images\image1.jpg

..\images\image2.jpg

etc.

In each line is a file name with relative paths (relative to IrfanView,
i_view32.exe).

Save the TXT file e.g. as "slideshow.txt" in the CD root folder.

2.4. Create the "autorun.inf" file (Notepad). Write in the file 2 lines:

[AutoRun]

open = i_view32.exe /slideshow=slideshow.txt

Save "autorun.inf".

2.5. Done. Burn the CD using your burning software.

Regards
Thorkild Dalsgaard

Susan Bugher

I'm looking for a portable slideshow app.

I have a fairly large number of jpgs that I want to put on a CD,
together with the viewer and multiple slideshow files.

I love Irfanview, but it doesn't work for this task. It is large, it
must be installed, the slideshow files require absolute addressing, so
if you specify D: and the user's optical drive is V:, well, too bad.
You can write the slideshow as an .exe, but I want the recipients to be
able to access the images for whatever reason, and to determine how
fast they want to view the slides.

You seem to be looking for FotoAlbum. ;) re the "multiple slideshows" - recipients can view the
photos in many different ways. You can group the photos in albums - each one can be viewed as a
slideshow but recipients can also specify search terms (filters) and view the results as a
slideshow. IOW - they can view the photos by date, name, keywords etc. etc. etc. - set the speed,
the image size, etc. etc. etc.

Program: FotoAlbum
Author: FotoTime
W: LFW
Ware: v 3.4.1
http://www.themolezone.net/

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Michael Laplante

A program similar to Susan's suggestion is MyAlbum at:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/MyAlbum.html

IMO it's slightly better than Fotoalbum because:

i. it has a niftly panorama feature that will pan across large photos
ii. it has a greater range of transitions between photos. In fact, it blends
one photo into another, something that FotoAlbum doesn't do, IIRC. (Susan
can correct me on that.)
iii. it can display HTML pages complete all the HTML "tricks" so that if you
have a photo that requires a longer explanation you can include it on a web
page.

JoeA

[...]

VueSlide
http://www.hamrick.com/upg.html

I've used this. It's small, simple and it works. Near the bottom of
page. If you put autorun.inf on a CD-ROM along with vueslide.exe, the
slide show will automatically start when you insert the CD-ROM.

Larry Sabo

I'm looking for a portable slideshow app.

I have a fairly large number of jpgs that I want to put on a CD,
together with the viewer and multiple slideshow files.

I love Irfanview, but it doesn't work for this task. It is large, it
must be installed, the slideshow files require absolute addressing, so
if you specify D: and the user's optical drive is V:, well, too bad.
You can write the slideshow as an .exe, but I want the recipients to be
able to access the images for whatever reason, and to determine how
fast they want to view the slides.
[snip]

Any other suggestions?

Try FastStone Image Viewer; it's terrific!

FastStone Image Viewer 2.22 is an image browser, viewer, converter and
editor with an easy to use interface and a nice array of features that
include resizing, renaming, cropping, color adjustments and more. It
also includes an intuitive full-screen mode that provides quick access
to EXIF information and thumbnail browser via hidden toolbars that
emerge when you touch the edge of your screen with the mouse. Other
features include a high quality magnifier and built-in slideshow with
150+ transitional effects, as well as lossless JPEG transitions, drop
shadow effects, image frames, scanner support, histogram and much
more. It supports all major graphic formats including BMP, JPEG, JPEG
2000, GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA.

Version 2.22:(2.6MB)

http://www.faststone.org/