Want to import full .reg in sp2

Reaction score
Hi to all,
Sorry if this is boring to some.
I've looked at many posts on various sites about this problem to no avail. Nothing works.

I exported the Registry yesterday as I always do when editing it. I am new to XP having just upgraded from win2Ksp4.

I know from other posts you are only supposed to export the part you edited and not the whole reg file.
Well, I need to import yesterdays full reg file as I cannot get any sound to play as I was editing out Nero 7 from an uninstall that left everything in the Registry, so a new Nero install will not start until the old install is completely removed. (Sounds to me that Nero has the problem in not uninstalling properly).

I would like to start with a fresh registry before my edit of yesterday.

There has to be a way to do this.

Disabling the Firewall and Booting into safe boot command line gives me the same error as any other attempt which is...

The system recovery does the same thing.

"Cannot Import C:... .reg file: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by other processes."

Just another Windows problem. God gave us 3/4 the world Windows and Linux/Unix with the rest.

This is a work related problem and I don't have the option of a fresh install as it causes way too many problems.
Thanks in advance for the sweet soul that has the answer.
Blessings,Chetanji

Reaction score
I found the answer.
Go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore.

There were several copies of backups around the time of my own previously.

I scheduled it for ten minutes later and it all happened properly as it said it would.

I had to reinstall two programs that wasn't so bad.

I still have no audio while the Dvd/Cd plays vidoe just fine.

Thanks for everyting to all!
Blessings,
Chetanji

Ask a Question