Wake Up, MicroSychophants!

kurttrail

So far, all of ya'll have been too chickensh*t to answer this next question,
so I'm challenging all you "Microsoft über alles" morons to give the group a
direct, and straight-forward answer. Since ya'll believe that MS's Windows
XP "shrink-wrap license" One Computer claims should be followed despite
never being legally substantiated as being legally enforcable over an
individuals right to "fair use":

"DO YOU BELIEVE THAT IBM SHOULD JUST CAVE IN TO SCO'S LICENSING CLAIMS
BEFORE SCO LEGALLY SUBSTANTIATES THOSE CLAIMS?"

--
Peace!
Kurt

Jim Macklin

Stop shouting.

"kurttrail" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| So far, all of ya'll have been too chickensh*t to answer
this next question,
| so I'm challenging all you "Microsoft über alles" morons
to give the group a
| direct, and straight-forward answer. Since ya'll believe
that MS's Windows
| XP "shrink-wrap license" One Computer claims should be
followed despite
| never being legally substantiated as being legally
enforcable over an
| individuals right to "fair use":
|
| "DO YOU BELIEVE THAT IBM SHOULD JUST CAVE IN TO SCO'S
LICENSING CLAIMS
| BEFORE SCO LEGALLY SUBSTANTIATES THOSE CLAIMS?"
|
| --
| Peace!
| Kurt
| Self-anointed Moderator
| microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
| http://microscum.com
| "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an
Oxymoron!
| "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

kurttrail

Gator said:
Kurt.....
whoah...
someone didn't take their medication today......

Couldn't you come up with something original, like actually answering the
effin' question?

And why the hell would anyone here care that you forgot to take your
Clozapine today? It ain't like we're gonna be in the same padded room with
you any time soon.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

Kurt, I trust you are only directing the comment and question to those who
may have specifically defended the practice. I make this point because if a
person simply answers a question with regard to what a user can or cannot do
in this connection, it is usually in the context of the activation scheme.

For example, if a person asks if they can install a single licensed version
of XP on other computers in their house, would I not be remiss if I didn't
inform them they will not be able to activate XP (through normal commonly
accepted means within the OS) on more than one system. If I do that, I'm
not making a comment on XP or activation one way or the other. I and others
are simply trying to save users from the hassle they may go though if they
attempt to install on more than one machine only to find later they cannot
activate on both of them and find themselves locked out. I know you've seen
where this has happened, would it not be irresponsible of us not to point
that out?

SCO's claim is that there are elements of Unix code within Linux a separate
OS, something that will have to be substantiated in court and by they way,
that's another difference as there is a legal action pending and there is no
legal action as yet with regard to activation. While there is an
intellectual property claim both use as a defense, Microsoft asserts its
claim through its EULA. If there is a dispute, it's yet to be brought or
litigated. Assuming it were litigated and Microsoft lost, there are
implications beyond Microsoft. Perhaps others would now assert a filmmaker
and/or studio loses the rights to their creation once it hits the theatres
or others might claim once a song is released, its now public domain for
anyone to have copy, give to others and on and on and that goes to the very
heart of copyright law, both as it used to be as well as how it is in the
digital era.

Travis King

Kurt, don't speak in German.
Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User) said:
[...]

Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

GwD

Keith Ridley said:
Can omebody summarise what has been going on here? Is this likely to keep Bill
Gates the richest man in the world? This Newsgroup is only for that
purpose.

Kurt is pissed because Microsoft is trying to limit people to installing
there software on only one machine. He feels its unfair for Microsoft to do
this.

He is also pissed because SCO is suing Linux distributions because they feel
there copy rights have been violated because some of there code is in the
Linux distribution. IBM is going to give into SCO's law suite probably
because they discovered some SCO code or they are unwilling to spend
millions of dollars in court just to prove they are right.

What Kurt doesn't understand is that if someone sues you and its going to
force you to loose everything and force you to be bankrupt just to prove
your right then it makes more sense to just settle out of court and keep you
from loosing your shirt.

Also Kurt didn't take his meds today.

kurttrail

Michael said:
Kurt, I trust you are only directing the comment and question to
those who may have specifically defended the practice. I make this
point because if a person simply answers a question with regard to
what a user can or cannot do in this connection, it is usually in the
context of the activation scheme.

I believe I directed towards the "'Microsoft über alles' morons." And boy
did they come out of the closet for this one! LOL!
For example, if a person asks if they can install a single licensed
version of XP on other computers in their house, would I not be
remiss if I didn't inform them they will not be able to activate XP
(through normal commonly accepted means within the OS) on more than
one system.

"they will not be able to activate XP" - "they *may* not . . . ." would be
more accurate and honest.
If I do that, I'm not making a comment on XP or
activation one way or the other. I and others are simply trying to
save users from the hassle they may go though if they attempt to
install on more than one machine only to find later they cannot
activate on both of them and find themselves locked out. I know
you've seen where this has happened, would it not be irresponsible of
us not to point that out?

Mike, you wouldn't be one of those I was addressing this to, as you don't
seem to be a zealot in the cause of all things MS, as some of your brethren.
I respect you, and believe that you are only trying to give an honest answer
to try to help them out. If you haven't noticed, I only really rip into
those the adovate MS's rights over that of the individual.
as SCO's claim is that there are elements of Unix code within Linux a
separate OS, something that will have to be substantiated in court
and by they way, that's another difference as there is a legal action
pending and there is no legal action as yet with regard to
activation.

Activation is only a symptom, not the cause. The problem is MS thinking it
can pretty much right rules for individuals in their own homes. Even MS's
One computer term is not the problem I have with MS EULA. It's the totally
unsubstantiated claim that their anonymous post-purchase "shrink-wrap
license," just like your TV & stereo came with, is also a software usage
license, that effectively strips individuals of their rights under copyright
law.

While there is an intellectual property claim both use
as a defense, Microsoft asserts its claim through its EULA.

SCO tried to use their interpretation of the UNIX license against IBM for
contributing their own code to Linux.

". . . . that IBM and Sequent developed extensions to Unix such as JFS,
NUMA software, RCU, and so forth are part of SCO-owned Unix through derivate
work clauses in the Unix licensing agreements. (IBM now owns Sequent.) -
http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-21-AmndComplaint_Story01.html

From http://www.caldera.com/scosource/complaint3.06.03.html

FOURTH CAUSE OF ACTION
(Breach of Contract)
128. Plaintiff incorporates and realleges by reference paragraphs 1-127
above.
129. IBM has numerous obligations under the AT&T / IBM UNIX Agreements,
some of which are detailed below.
130. Paragraph 11 of the Side Letter contains the following language
regarding the intent of the parties to prevent unrestricted disclosure of
UNIX:
You [IBM] recognize the proprietary nature of SOFTWARE PRODUCTS and the need
to protect SOFTWARE PRODUCTS from unrestricted disclosure.
131. IBM is prohibited under §7.10 of the Software Agreement from
transferring or disposing of UNIX in a way that destroys its economic value.
The applicable contract language reads as follows:
Except as provided in Section 7.06(b), nothing in this Agreement grants to
Licensee the right to sell, lease or otherwise transfer or dispose of a
SOFTWARE PRODUCT in whole or in part.
132. IBM has a duty of confidentiality to protect the confidentiality of
SCO’s trade secrets. The Side Letter ¶9 provides, in part, as follows:
LICENSEE [IBM] agrees that it shall hold SOFTWARE PRODUCTS subject to this
Agreement in confidence for AT&T. LICENSEE further agrees that it shall not
make any disclosure of such SOFTWARE PRODUCTS to anyone, except to employees
of LICENSEE to whom such disclosure is necessary to the use for which rights
are granted, LINCENSEE shall appropriately notify each employee to whom any
such disclosure is made that such disclosure is made in confidence and shall
be kept in confidence by such employee.
IBM is further required by ¶2.01 of the Sublicensing Agreement to obtain
confidentiality agreements from its distributors and customers, and by ¶3 of
the Side letter to obtain the same from contractors.
133. IBM is prohibited under Section 2.05 of the Software Agreement from
using UNIX for others. The applicable language provides:
No right is granted by this Agreement for the use of SOFTWARE PRODUCTS
directly for others, or for any use of SOFTWARE PRODUCTS by others.
134. The cumulative effect of these provisions requires IBM to protect
SCO’s valuable UNIX trade secrets against unrestricted disclosure,
unauthorized transfer or disposition and unauthorized use by others.
135. Notwithstanding these provisions, IBM has subjected SCO’s UNIX
trade secrets to unrestricted disclosure, unauthorized transfer and
disposition, unauthorized use, and has otherwise encouraged others in the
Linux development community to do the same. SCO, therefore, has terminated
IBM’s license to use UNIX-based software products. (See letter dated March
6, 2003, attached hereto and incorporated herein as Exhibit E).
136. As a result of IBM’s breaches, SCO has suffered substantial damages
in an amount to be proven at trial.
If
there is a dispute, it's yet to be brought or litigated.

And it would be up to MS to seek legal relief for what they alleged to be
violations of their "license," just like SCO.
Assuming it
were litigated and Microsoft lost, there are implications beyond
Microsoft. Perhaps others would now assert a filmmaker and/or studio
loses the rights to their creation once it hits the theatres or
others might claim once a song is released, its now public domain for
anyone to have copy, give to others and on and on and that goes to
the very heart of copyright law, both as it used to be as well as how
it is in the digital era.

LOL! There are federal laws that already protect movies from illegal
distribution. Now your trying to confuse what I advocate, "fair use" of
software by the individual who purchases a copy of copyrighted material, not
giving it to friends, or selling it on eBay. It's like making a copy of a
CD so you can keep a copy in your car's multiCD player, and keeping the
original at home to use on your stereo. That would be the more apt analogy
of what I advocated.

So now that you know that SCO among claims against IBM is breach of license:

"DO YOU BELIEVE THAT IBM SHOULD JUST CAVE IN TO SCO'S LICENSING CLAIMS
BEFORE SCO LEGALLY SUBSTANTIATES THOSE CLAIMS?"

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

kurttrail

Travis said:
Kurt, don't speak in German.

Why not, Travis? Haven't learned how to use Google's language tools yet?

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

Keith Ridley

GwD said:
Kurt is pissed because Microsoft is trying to limit people to
installing there software on only one machine. He feels its unfair
for Microsoft to do this.

I don't really get mad, eventhough I may sound it. I usually have quite the
big smile on my face.
He is also pissed because SCO is suing Linux distributions because
they feel there copy rights have been violated because some of there
code is in the Linux distribution.

Could care less about SCO.
IBM is going to give into SCO's
law suite probably because they discovered some SCO code or they are
unwilling to spend millions of dollars in court just to prove they
are right.

ROFL! The more likely scenario would be that IBM just buys out SCO.
What Kurt doesn't understand is that if someone sues you and its
going to force you to loose everything and force you to be bankrupt
just to prove your right then it makes more sense to just settle out
of court and keep you from loosing your shirt.

Yep, that would be the way MS & the software industries Gestapo, the BSA,
extorts settlements out of small businesses, but IBM isn't very likely to
succomb to these fascist tactics.
Also Kurt didn't take his meds today.

I take my meds every day. Every 20 minutes after the hour, it's 4:20
somewhere in the world! <vbg>

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

kurttrail

Richard said:
You need more Prozac!

I'd rather snort coke, and I haven't done that in many, many years.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

kurttrail

Travis said:
Zoloft anybody?

Are you depressed, Travis? Try getting laid, and give you hand a rest.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

Steve Nielsen

GwD said:
He is also pissed because SCO is suing Linux distributions because they feel
there copy rights have been violated because some of there code is in the
Linux distribution.

SCO claims Unix Code is in Linux distros. It's an allegation, not a
proven fact. And it's "their", not "there"; one is posessive, the other
directional. ;)

Steve

kurttrail

Keith said:
Can omebody summarise what has been going on here?

The Whole Group? Well, there is a whole lot of people that have varying
problems with WinXP, then there are a small group of people that are either
trying to get, or try to keep a free MSDN license, and then there is an even
smaller group that are actually out to help their fellow human beings.
Is this likely to
keep Bill Gates the richest man in the world?

What wouldn't?
This Newsgroup is only
for that purpose.

Not if you play it right! ;-)

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

kurttrail

GwD said:
Here he goes again!

Pray tell, where am I going exactly?

I got to give Mike Solomon a lot of credit for at least taking the high road
in wiggling out of answering a rather simple question directly, but you
other guys are nothing but a bunch of baffoons, and aren't in the least bit
imaginative with your cowardly attempts side-step the question.

What a bunch of pussies MS has for advocates! [No offense meant towards
pussy cats.] ;-)