vuescan

graham harmer

I'm having a look at using vuescan wih my CanoScan FS2710. Certainly offers
the prospect of more control than the CanoCraft 3.6 package but rather
harder to master I fear.

I'm currently trying to understand the dual graphs shown when choosing
either preview or scan histograms. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Whilst on the subject I'd also be very grateful for any pointers to some
better documentation for vuescan.

Graham

Mendel Leisk

graham harmer said:
I'm having a look at using vuescan wih my CanoScan FS2710. Certainly offers
the prospect of more control than the CanoCraft 3.6 package but rather
harder to master I fear.

I'm currently trying to understand the dual graphs shown when choosing
either preview or scan histograms. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Whilst on the subject I'd also be very grateful for any pointers to some
better documentation for vuescan.

Graham

The top histogram shows image state after "basic" adjustments, but
prior to others.

For example if, you're scanning b/w with Tmax400 profile, the use of
that profile, and the contrast index you choose, will be reflected in
the top histogram. Other things, such as brightness, white point and
black point, show in the bottom histogram.

One tip, if you're getting tired of the auto-update when you change a
setting, you can set Prefs|Refresh delay (something like that) to a
value of 0. Then, you can do various settings without it reacting.
When you're done, type <ctrl> e, to force a refresh.

Nother tip, the default 1 for wp is too high, my 2 cents.

Cheers.

graham harmer

Thanks for that Mendel, very useful.