VueScan v. 8.1.1 problem

Dave W.

I have a Minolta Scan Dual III slide scanner and use it with VueScan
standard edition. I have been very happy with that combination. Today
I upgraded from VueScan Version 8.0.16 to V. 8.1.1 and things aren't
as they were. In the previous version when I used batch scan - all, as
each slide was scanned, a brief image would be displayed before the
scanner proceeded to the next slide. That was very valuable for making
sure that the scans were okay and avoided wasting a lot of time if
something wasn't quite right. It's similar to digicams which offer a
brief view of the last picture taken before turning the LCD off when
you have the camera set to keep the LCD off. I have tried everything I
know how to do and can't get the short display of the just scanned
slide to display when in auto scan mode. I miss that feature so much
that I think I'll go back to v. 8.0.16.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I always use the advanced mode
in VueScan and really don't see the new interface as an improvement.
If I have to go back a revision to get the former functionality, does
anyone know whether or not I can just run the old installation program
without uninstalling v. 8.1.1 first? If I do go back, what
improvements am I missing? My hope is that I can keep the latest
version by finding out that I have a case of the "supids."

Thanks for any help offered

Dave W.

Alex Stols

(e-mail address removed) (Dave W.) wrote:
<snip>

Hello Dave W.,
I can't help you with your problem since I don't know the newer
versions of Vuescan any more. I have given up using VS with Minolta
SD4.

but I do know that you simply can delete the directory where VS sits
and unpack the older version. No uninstalling necessary - if I'm
correct :)

Regards,
Alex

Jon Bell

[...] does
anyone know whether or not I can just run the old installation program
without uninstalling v. 8.1.1 first?

On a Mac, you can simply rename the folder that 8.1.1 was installed into,
then install any other version of VueScan alongside it (which will create
a new folder with the standard name). I'd be surprised if you couldn't do
the same thing under Windows. (Well, maybe I *shouldn't* be surprised.
;-)

When I install a new version of VueScan, I always rename the folder
immediately from "VueScan" to "VueScan 8.1.1" or whatever the version
number is, so I can install newer versions later without losing the older
ones.

Dave W.

[...] does
anyone know whether or not I can just run the old installation program
without uninstalling v. 8.1.1 first?

On a Mac, you can simply rename the folder that 8.1.1 was installed into,
then install any other version of VueScan alongside it (which will create
a new folder with the standard name). I'd be surprised if you couldn't do
the same thing under Windows. (Well, maybe I *shouldn't* be surprised.
;-)

When I install a new version of VueScan, I always rename the folder
immediately from "VueScan" to "VueScan 8.1.1" or whatever the version
number is, so I can install newer versions later without losing the older
ones.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just bit the bullet and re-installed the
old version. I allowed it to install in the same directory as the new
version and it all worked. I'm back to v. 8.0.16 and everything works
as before. What I still want to know is, why did a very useful
feature (short view of the current scan during batch scan) get
removed? Or is there something wrong with my system? I should point
out that my OS is Win XP Home Edition SP2. People have been having
some strange problems with SP2. Could that be the problem? If so, it
doesn't affect the old version of VueScan.

Dave W.

Lester B Davis

I downloaded v 8.1.1 on Friday and, since, have not been able to run
the program. I continuously get a message that "Program is not
Reposnding." What's up?
Les Davis

[...]

Mendel Leisk

[...]

I'm sticking with an older version for a few releases now (8.0.08),
due to an off-topic crop problem (Ed Hamrick is communicating with me,
and trying to resolve it).

I tried 8.1.1, to test a crop problem fix, and was getting the same
lack of image preview. Doing a second preview, image appears. Just
doing a scan with no preview, image appeared ONLY after file was saved
to disk, and had the marching ants around the perimeter (like
preview). Yeah, it's a little buggy.

Another thing I noticed, before going back to older version, shadows
seemed deeper (same setting), from my previous version. Actually
looked better.

Per previous responder, I save old install files to folders, name per
version. There is no problem re-installing "over top", I do that all
the time. A good idea to save a settings ini file(s), because
up(down)grading tends to lose your settings. Well, keeps them the
first time it auto-opens after an up(down)grade, then reverts to
defaults, the next time. Have your ini files handy and no problems.

Incidentally, my scanner is Scan Dual II.

owenpevans

Although Mr. Leisk replied to this post, I also found a workaround to the
preview problem. One must let 8.1.1 do it's own Cropping of the image to get
the preview to show, so that you can then make a change. If you make a
change, you'll need to set Crop, back to, Auto position for the next scan,
otherwise you won't see the marching ants and get a chance to crop manually.
Hope this helps until Ed fixes this.

--
Owen Evans
J.33.3

" Many men stumble across the truth, but most
manage to pick themselves up and continue
as if nothing had happened."
--Winston Churchill--
Dave W. said:
(e-mail address removed) (Jon Bell) wrote in message
[...]

Dave Williams

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. The way I work and prefer the
setup to work is to set everything to auto, stick the slide holder with 4
slides into the scanner, and let VueScan do its thing while watching each
short preview to be sure it's all okay. When those 4 slides are finished, I
have another holder ready, pull out the finished one and stick in the new
one. Any manual cropping would be far to slow to ever get finished with
over 500 slides. That's why this preview is so important. I'd hate to get
through 50 or so slides only to discover I had to scan them again. I have
the scan set for 940 dpi. At that resolution, it takes approximately 1
minute and 15 seconds to scan each slide. So 50 slides would take 62.5
minutes. That's too much time to lose. You can see why I'm so interested
in getting VueScan 8.1.1 working with my slide scanner. Incidentally, I
purchased VueScan for its ability to automate and speed up the scanning
process. Minolta's DS Dual 3 software can't come close to VueScan's
performance. As a matter of fact, the "pixel Polish" feature doesn't work
at all. The color balance is way off. Even Minolta couldn't figure it out.
I think they have a serious bug and didn't want to fix it for DS Scan 3.
Perhaps it's okay with the later model scanners.

Dave W.