VS.NET 2008 Debug ASP.NET on VISTA with IIS7?

Asaf

Hello,

I have just installed VISTA Enterprise and VS.NET 2008.
When pressing F5 to debug my test ASP.NET website, IE 7 display the message
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".
The local URL that VS.NET 2008 generates is
http://localhost:49705/aaa/Default.aspx.
In IIS7 Manager, ASP.NET V2.0… is "Allowed" in the ISAPI and CGI Restrictions.
Also IIS7 is working and display ASP.NET web sites if I convert them to IIS7
"Application" but I would like to use the Debug option.

Thanks in advanced for any help,
Asasf

Asaf

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your answer.
I am confused now.
I don't want to use IIS for my ASP.NET applications so why VS.NET is using
http://localhost/ ?
When creating a new website I have set it to work on "File System" so it is
going to look for localhost?
Where can I configure to use VS.NET 2008 built in web server please?

Thanks,
Asaf

George Ter-Saakov

It looks like you hitting the internal web server in Visual studio. And not
IIS.

Also seems to be firewall/antivirus is blocking the request to
localhost:79705

Either allow it on firwall or use http and not local file system for your
project.

George.

George Ter-Saakov

If you choosing "file system" then VS starts it's own internal web server.
That is the only way to run Web applications (through web server).

And if do not want to use IIS then you doing exactly what you want to do.

The only problem is that something is blocking browser requests to that
internal web server. Most likely it's antivirus software. Try to configure
it so it lets through the requests to that port.

George.

Asaf

Hi,

I have disabled Vista Firewall and NOD32 Anti-Virus but still I can't load
my website pages to IE7 from VS.NET 2008.

Does the internal VS.NET 2008 web server is using http://localhost or
something else?

Is there some kind of a log that I can see what exactly it’s happening with
the IE7 when I try to debug?

Asaf

Steven Cheng

Hi Asaf,

Yes, the url indicate that you're using the built-in ASP.NET server rather
than IIS server. The error you saw in IE is a general one, here is a kb
article which provided some suggestion about troubleshooting this error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

suggestions about how we

can improve the support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my
manager know what you think of

the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager
at: (e-mail address removed).

From: =?Utf-8?B?QXNhZg==?= <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: VS.NET 2008 Debug ASP.NET on VISTA with IIS7?
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:59:11 -0700

Steven Cheng

Hi Asaf,

It seem that your Vista system has some problem with the "localhost" name's
resolving. I think you should fix this problem first. Here is a web thread
discussing on the same problem(localhost not work):

http://forums.vnunet.com/message.jspa?messageID=1023002

From: =?Utf-8?B?QXNhZg==?= <[email protected]>

Asaf

Hi,

I have found the solution.
Looking at hosts file I have found a second line like this:

::1 localhost

I have deleted this line and now every things works!

Thanks you all for your time and support.

Asaf

Steven Cheng

Thanks for your followup.

Glad that you've got it working.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

From: =?Utf-8?B?QXNhZg==?= <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

OneTime Use

I ran into the same issue after the Vista SP1 install in the 64 bit
version. The address "::1" is the IPv6 version of localhost or
127.0.0.1. It should NOT be removed from the hosts file if you're
running IPv6.

The fact that IE fails to dereference it properly looks like a bug.
Anyway, you're right, removing the entry will fix the problem for IPv4
just fine.