VS installer project to upgrade application

Reaction score
Hello

I'm using VS2008 and .NET 2.0.

Is it possible to create an istaller project, which upgrades application? What I mean... I have an application and installer project (setup) for it. This works perfectly. Now I changed a small part of application and I want to create another installer project (setup) to upgrade this changed part.

Say my application has 20 files after normal installation. I have changed 5 files and I want to create small installer just for these five files. I count thios as upgrade of application, so I change version number - from 1.0 to 1.1. I set RemovePreviousVersion to False - I don't want to remove it, because it removes all 20 application's files. Now this can happen:

1) I do not change product code. Installer just tells me, that different version of application is installed, and stops.

2) I change the product code. Installation passes, everything seems OK, but in the Add/Remove Programs I have my application twice.

3) If I set RemovePreviousVersion to True, new files are installed, application is only once in Add/Remove Programs, but ... most of the files are missing, because they were uninstaller.

I want to create installer, which:
1) Increases version number of application
2) Installs files I need (just couple of files which are changed from regular installation)
3) Keep all other files which were installed during normal (full) instalation.
4) Leaves only one recor about my application in Add/Remove Programs - the newest one.

Thanks for any help, Stano

Ask a Question