VPN's

Reaction score
Looking through an old PC mag and they have an article on VPN's.
Cyberghost5/TunnelBear & Hola all come out well in the article.
Does anyone use them & do they do the job of masking your IP address well enough?

Just use a few sites who i dont really want them to know my IP address.
Nothing illegal or dodgy, honest.

Note to Mods: If this article is a bit close to forum boundaries please lock the thread.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you can all laugh, but you all should be using a VPN, especially if you take your laptop to your corner WiFi Café.

I had a spot of bother with my 'online' banking app, so I popped along to the bank to see if they could give me an answer. I was invited to logon to their WiFi, I asked if it was a 'secure VPN' I got a blank expression on her face, so ... I walked out! I did not install the app. :)

There are several benches outside my bank where I could quite happily sit with a laptop (heck, I could use my phone) and a piece of software and collect a lot of 'information' from people conducting any banking transactions.

A lot of VPNs don't allow you, physically block access to, p2p and recognised abusive sites.

Feckit, pick one that is in a country jurisdiction that does not have any data retention programs. Have a read

do I use a VPN ... nope, I own a Purdey :eek: :)

Reaction score
Aye. Or terrorism. Or mayhap villainy, skulduggery & bank robbery.
None of the above but thanks for the vote of confidence V_R & FBS, oh and i see Royal as well!!:rolleyes:
Just dont like all the crap you get when you surf etc.
And anyway i can assure you i bet i know the best corn sites than you do anyway!!!:p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Witopia is a good VPN provider - I use it for the very reason that Mucks mentioned, as if I connect to a WiFi hotspot then I can be sure it's secure :). It's not the cheapest VPN provider, but it works really well and has loads of points of presence.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, ok, all you serious old Hectors, Massah Flops assumed anybody who wanted to hide themselves must have something to hide, is all.

And besides, I'd never even heard of a VPN prior to this thread.

Reaction score
Thanks for input people & trialing a few to see which one i get on with the best.:thumb:

Ask a Question