Visual Studio on Vista

Frank Rizzo

I've heard rumblings here and there that various versions of Visual
Studio will not run on Vista. I can't find definitive explanation
anywhere of which one will run and which one won't. I am mostly
interested in vs2003 and vs2005. Is it mostly an issue of UAC or not
running as an admin?

Regards

Hi Frank,
I have been running VS2005 (express and professional) on Vista RC2 and RTM
and have not have any issues. Obviously to install you will need to have
access to an account that is part of the administrators group, which is
different to the admin account in Vista is disabled wherever possible.
However after that you can use VS without account elevation, there may be
some scenarios that require elevation but I have not come across any.

Mark.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Frank,

They claimed that they support only VS 2005 on Vista, but u need to install
SP1 to get the full compatibility due to some UAC and other security issues.
Take into account that u need SP2 for SQLServer to work on Vista (albeit
SP1 works, but they don't recommend)

Other versions of VS can work but MS doest support them at all.

FR> I've heard rumblings here and there that various versions of Visual
FR> Studio will not run on Vista. I can't find definitive explanation
FR> anywhere of which one will run and which one won't. I am mostly
FR> interested in vs2003 and vs2005. Is it mostly an issue of UAC or
FR> not running as an admin?
FR>
FR> Regards

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

| I've heard rumblings here and there that various versions of Visual
| Studio will not run on Vista. I can't find definitive explanation
| anywhere of which one will run and which one won't. I am mostly
| interested in vs2003 and vs2005. Is it mostly an issue of UAC or not
| running as an admin?
|
| Regards

Currently only VB6 is supported on Vista :)

I had VS2005 SP1 running on RC2 - 64bit, got frustrated, and moved back to
XP SP2, because of:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/windowsvista/default.aspx

Note that the list of issues is not exhaustive, there are some more issues
when running on 64bit Vista (and on XP 64).

Willy.

Frank Rizzo

Willy said:
| I've heard rumblings here and there that various versions of Visual
| Studio will not run on Vista. I can't find definitive explanation
| anywhere of which one will run and which one won't. I am mostly
| interested in vs2003 and vs2005. Is it mostly an issue of UAC or not
| running as an admin?
|
| Regards

Currently only VB6 is supported on Vista :)

That is pretty funny.
Gee, maybe this guy was right after all. :)
http://classicvb.org/

I had VS2005 SP1 running on RC2 - 64bit, got frustrated, and moved back to
XP SP2, because of:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/windowsvista/default.aspx

Note that the list of issues is not exhaustive, there are some more issues
when running on 64bit Vista (and on XP 64).

That's good to know because I was contemplating repaving my box with a
64 bit OS just to make my debugging sessions easier.

Does anyone have anything to say about VS2003? I have a number of
applications I have to support that won't be moved to VS2005 anytime
soon for various reasons. Will it run on Vista?

Btw, is it me or is pretty much every second app refuses to run under
Vista? That's been my experience. Win9x to WinXP seemed a much milder
upgrade by comparison.

Frans Bouma [C# MVP]

Frank said:
Does anyone have anything to say about VS2003? I have a number of
applications I have to support that won't be moved to VS2005 anytime
soon for various reasons. Will it run on Vista?

VS.NET 2003 isn't supported on Vista, mainly because of the debugger.
The debugger attaches to a process in such a way that's not allowed by
Vista (new security rules) so it will run but debugging will be
cumbersome and if MS says something isn't supported, you can be sure
something isn't right.

FB

Lead developer of LLBLGen Pro, the productive O/R mapper for .NET
LLBLGen Pro website: http://www.llblgen.com
My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
Microsoft MVP (C#)

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

| > | Studio will not run on Vista. I can't find definitive explanation
| > | anywhere of which one will run and which one won't. I am mostly
| > | interested in vs2003 and vs2005. Is it mostly an issue of UAC or not
| > | running as an admin?
| > |
| > | Regards
| >
| > Currently only VB6 is supported on Vista :)
|
| That is pretty funny.
| Gee, maybe this guy was right after all. :)
| http://classicvb.org/
|

| > I had VS2005 SP1 running on RC2 - 64bit, got frustrated, and moved back
| > XP SP2, because of:
| > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/windowsvista/default.aspx
| >
| > Note that the list of issues is not exhaustive, there are some more
issues
| > when running on 64bit Vista (and on XP 64).
|
| That's good to know because I was contemplating repaving my box with a
| 64 bit OS just to make my debugging sessions easier.

Well, we are still building and debugging managed stuff on XP, when there is
a need to debug on Vista I'm using the debugging tools for windows 'Windbg,
cdb etc...). Actually we don't have any desktop applications that need > 2GB
of memory, so we target "X86", this:
1) to make sure that we run on the same CLR as XP,
2) that we don't waste any more memory than needed when running "MSIL" on
Vista 64, and
3) run the risk to get bitten by 64 bit interop issues.
For our *Server* style applications that need > 4GB we target "x64" or
"IA64" and we qualify to run on W2K3 64 bit only, never on a desktop style
OS.

| Does anyone have anything to say about VS2003? I have a number of
| applications I have to support that won't be moved to VS2005 anytime
| soon for various reasons. Will it run on Vista?

V1.0 and V1.1 application will run, it's VS2003 which is not supported.

| Btw, is it me or is pretty much every second app refuses to run under
| Vista? That's been my experience. Win9x to WinXP seemed a much milder
| upgrade by comparison.

What exactly do you mean with refuse to run, did you consider to run
Standard User Analyser and Application Verifier
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsecure/html/appverifier_sdl.asp
first?

Willy.

Ben Newsam

Btw, is it me or is pretty much every second app refuses to run under
Vista? That's been my experience. Win9x to WinXP seemed a much milder
upgrade by comparison.

I am still hoping that, some time in the future, a version of Windows
will be produced that will allow a *really* backwards compatibility
mode so that I can play those games that only ran on Windows 95!