Visual Studio 2008 released

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

What I'm doing is set the ToolsVersion value to 2.0 in the .csproj file.
<Project ToolsVersion="2.0"

this forces the project to be build using the V2 tools (C# 2).
However, this doesn't mean you can share the project between VS2005 and
2005.

So what happens when you open a project like that within 2008?

For the book, I've got several projects which I'm using between 2005
and 2008, and it's all working fine.

Jon

Christian Sparre

There is no key required (it's hard coded in the product), if you are
allowed to download the product, you are assumed to be a legal licensee.

Is it the same key for everyone or do they embed one for each subscription
before you download ?

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

Jon Skeet said:
So what happens when you open a project like that within 2008?

The project opens builds and runs succesfully using C# 2, basically what
happens is that VS picks all tools (like the compiler) from the FrameworkV2
directory. It's not possible to open the project in VS2005 however.
For the book, I've got several projects which I'm using between 2005
and 2008, and it's all working fine.

Hmm..., you don't open a VS2005 solution/project in VS2008 without
conversion, do you?

Willy.

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

Willy Denoyette said:
Hmm..., you don't open a VS2005 solution/project in VS2008 without
conversion, do you?

I open a 2008 solution, and add existing 2005 projects. Seems to work
fine.

It seems there's quite a lot of hand-waving around this at the moment.
Tonight I'm going to try various different things and write it all up,
either as a blog post or a web site article (any preference, folks?) -
anyone wishing to also experiment is welcome to contribute results :)

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

Jon Skeet said:
I open a 2008 solution, and add existing 2005 projects. Seems to work
fine.

When you add a VS2005 project file to a VS2008 Solution, the VS Conversion
Wizard comes up, right? (it does for me).
At that moment the project file gets "partly" converted to the VS2008
format, basically the csprj file remains a VS2005 csprj file..
"ToolsVersion="3.5"" is added in the Project Element, however, this doesn't
prevent the file to be loaded and run correctly in VS2005.
Changing " ...ToolsVersion="3.5" into ToolsVersion="2.0" causes VS2008 to
use C# 2, and VS2005 is also happy with this as he doesn't know about this
anyway.

Willy.

Liz

It seems there's quite a lot of hand-waving around this at the moment.
Tonight I'm going to try various different things and write it all up,
either as a blog post or a web site article (any preference, folks?) -
anyone wishing to also experiment is welcome to contribute results :)

one way or the other, you'll post a link here? thanks ....

Shawn B.

It seems there's quite a lot of hand-waving around this at the moment.
one way or the other, you'll post a link here? thanks ....

Scott Gu on his weblog today said that VS 2005/2008 can share project files
but not solution files. He recommends using one solution file for VS 2005
and one for VS 2008 but each can reference the same project file just fine
(according to him).

Thanks,
Shawn

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

Shawn B. said:
Scott Gu on his weblog today said that VS 2005/2008 can share project files
but not solution files. He recommends using one solution file for VS 2005
and one for VS 2008 but each can reference the same project file just fine
(according to him).

Exactly. However, there are a few details around that - which version
you should create the project in, what the wrinkles are, etc. That's
what I'll be addressing.

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

Willy Denoyette said:
When you add a VS2005 project file to a VS2008 Solution, the VS Conversion
Wizard comes up, right? (it does for me).
At that moment the project file gets "partly" converted to the VS2008
format, basically the csprj file remains a VS2005 csprj file..
"ToolsVersion="3.5"" is added in the Project Element, however, this doesn't
prevent the file to be loaded and run correctly in VS2005.
Changing " ...ToolsVersion="3.5" into ToolsVersion="2.0" causes VS2008 to
use C# 2, and VS2005 is also happy with this as he doesn't know about this
anyway.

Hmm... changing ToolsVersion to 2.0 doesn't stop it from compiling on
my box. However, adding a <LangVersion>ISO-2</LangVersion> does. I'm
intrigued as to what ToolsVersion really does...

Wingot

Just to confirm, the conversion wizard comes up here as well, rendering
the project unusable in VS2005

Regards,
Wingot

Posted At: Wednesday, 21 November 2007 9:12 AM

Wingot said:
Just to confirm, the conversion wizard comes up here as well, rendering
the project unusable in VS2005

What happens when you try to use it in VS2005? Note that I'm talking
about *projects* here, not *solutions*.

See http://msmvps.com/blogs/jon.skeet/archive/2007/11/20/vs2005-and-
vs2008-co-existence.aspx

for my experiences.

Yes, I noticed this in one of your posts further down this thread.
Sorry, I was referring to Solutions, which you clarified is not able to
be used across both.

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

Jon Skeet said:
Hmm... changing ToolsVersion to 2.0 doesn't stop it from compiling on
my box. However, adding a <LangVersion>ISO-2</LangVersion> does. I'm
intrigued as to what ToolsVersion really does...

I didn't say it stops it from compiling, it forces VS2008 to use C# V2 of
the compiler instead of V3.5.
All "ToolsVersion" does is tell VS2008 to load the CSC.EXE from the V2
Framework directory.

Willy.

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

Peter Duniho said:
it's just me, but there appear to be some missing inline sections.
Several places, the text reads as if some example of some XML will
follow the text, but nothing's there.

Hmm... looks alright on my box, in both IE and Firefox. Which browser
are you using? Do you have a specific bit in mind?
Looks like it didn't take long for the blog spammers to find the entry
either. Oh well...

Don't worry, I'll sort those out when I've got a minute.

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

Willy Denoyette said:
I didn't say it stops it from compiling, it forces VS2008 to use C# V2 of
the compiler instead of V3.5.

But presumably that should stop it from compiling C# 3 code, which is
what I meant - sorry.
All "ToolsVersion" does is tell VS2008 to load the CSC.EXE from the V2
Framework directory.

Mmm... doesn't seem to be doing anything on my machine :(

Unless that's interacting with the difference between MSBuildToolsPath
and MSBuildBinPath...

Peter Duniho

Um...maybe

Hmm... looks alright on my box, in both IE and Firefox. Which browser
are you using? Do you have a specific bit in mind?

Ah. Maybe a browser bug. I'm using Mac Safari. I loaded the page in
Mac Opera and it looks fine.

FYI, an example would be the very first "code" class section. In
Safari, the "code" section is displayed first, and then the line that
reads "Test.sln: Differences on lines 2 and 3. The original was:"

This is repeated in each place you have one of those "code" blocks,
with the preceding text being displayed after the block.

I did check the HTML source and it looks fine. For some reason Safari
is just reversing the display order.

But hey, this is one of the reasons I got a Mac. I got sick and tired
of hearing how buggy IE is and how great everything on the Mac is. It
didn't seem believable, but until I knew for myself I had no legitimate
way to dispute those kinds of claims.

Well, this isn't the first Safari bug I've run into, and in fact I find
them frequently. Sorry...I should've suspect some sort of Safari funny
business before posting here that your blog was screwed up. But hey, I
did say "maybe it's just me". Turns out, it was. :)

Pete