Visual Studio 2008 released

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

Chris Dunaway said:
Hi Jon,

We are able to download the software, but the page on MSDN
subscriptions doesn't list a subscriber key for VS2008. Can you shed
some light on this?

Thanks,

Chris

There is no key required (it's hard coded in the product), if you are
allowed to download the product, you are assumed to be a legal licensee.

Willy..

Chris Dunaway

There is no key required (it's hard coded in the product), if you are
allowed to download the product, you are assumed to be a legal licensee.

Willy..

Thanks,

Chris

Liz

Seems to be popular, I can't get any bandwidth :/

me either (for Pro, not Express) ...

actually, I'm getting this message:

"There's a persistent network connectivity error preventing download
completion, indicating a problem with your connection to the Internet.
Please check your Internet connection before continuing."

and there's nothing wrong with my connection to the Internet that I can see

anyone else seeing the same or similar message?

DeveloperX

me either (for Pro, not Express) ...

actually, I'm getting this message:

"There's a persistent network connectivity error preventing download
completion, indicating a problem with your connection to the Internet.
Please check your Internet connection before continuing."

and there's nothing wrong with my connection to the Internet that I can see

anyone else seeing the same or similar message?

Seems to be working now, although it seems to be downloading the 90
day trial. I hate MSDN for this, I never seem to be able to find the
right link, or figure out which is the right key :/ I'll get there
though :)

I can't help I'm afraid Liz, it was broken until I posted the above :/
On the plus side, once it works, this is going to be the best VS we've
seen. I loved the beta, and can't wait to get this running in the
office :)

Is anyone using 3 in the wild? We've just made it to 2, and that was a
struggle.

Wingot

Thanks, I thought this wasn't out until January, and so wouldn't have
noticed.

From: DeveloperX [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Tuesday, 20 November 2007 9:20 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
Conversation: Visual Studio 2008 released
Subject: Re: Visual Studio 2008 released

..

[...]

thanks for replying, DevX .... I got it a little while after posting my
question ... I'm dying to see it .. and afraid to install it ... lol ...
suppose my projects won't build??

anyone cut over yet?

Liz

Wingot

As soon as I get home tonight (about 6 hours) I'll be giving it a shot,
moving me projects (in a test environment) over to it.

Will inform of success, but of course, results may vary depending on
what features you have used.

Posted At: Tuesday, 20 November 2007 11:24 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
Conversation: Visual Studio 2008 released

I can't help I'm afraid Liz, it was broken until I posted the above :/
On the plus side, once it works, this is going to be the best VS we've
seen. I loved the beta, and can't wait to get this running in the
office :)

thanks for replying, DevX .... I got it a little while after posting my
question ... I'm dying to see it .. and afraid to install it ... lol
suppose my projects won't build??

anyone cut over yet?

Liz

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

Is anyone using 3 in the wild? We've just made it to 2, and that was a
struggle.

I hope to be using C# 3 at work within the next few months. I doubt
that I'll be using .NET 3.5 any time soon, but you can use most of the
C# 3 features while targeting .NET 2.0.

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

Jon Skeet said:
I hope to be using C# 3 at work within the next few months. I doubt
that I'll be using .NET 3.5 any time soon, but you can use most of the
C# 3 features while targeting .NET 2.0.

True, this is because all "targets" build with C# 3. However, there's
something that I don't like about this "Version targeting", there is no way
to use V2 of the C# compiler from within VS2008, although C# 2 installed
with VS2008 is the latest build (V8.00.50727.1433) targeting V2 of the
framework.

Willy.

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

True, this is because all "targets" build with C# 3. However, there's
something that I don't like about this "Version targeting", there is no way
to use V2 of the C# compiler from within VS2008, although C# 2 installed
with VS2008 is the latest build (V8.00.50727.1433) targeting V2 of the
framework.

Yes, it's a shame - it means that if you *do* share projects between
VS2005 and VS2008 users, you need to be careful not to put C# 3 code
in there.

I don't suppose it's possible by manually editing the csproj file is
it? I can't say I've looked at it in detail, but I wouldn't be
surprised if there was a property you could set... (In particular, you
have to set a flag for the CSharpCodeProvider to use C# 3 stuff, so
we'd be looking for the reverse in this case...)

Jon

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

Jon Skeet said:
Yes, it's a shame - it means that if you *do* share projects between
VS2005 and VS2008 users, you need to be careful not to put C# 3 code
in there.

I don't suppose it's possible by manually editing the csproj file is
it? I can't say I've looked at it in detail, but I wouldn't be
surprised if there was a property you could set... (In particular, you
have to set a flag for the CSharpCodeProvider to use C# 3 stuff, so
we'd be looking for the reverse in this case...)

Jon

What I'm doing is set the ToolsVersion value to 2.0 in the .csproj file.
<Project ToolsVersion="2.0"

this forces the project to be build using the V2 tools (C# 2).
However, this doesn't mean you can share the project between VS2005 and
2005.

Willy.

Dylan Parry

Jon said:
Just in case people had missed it, Visual Studio 2008 is now available
for download for MSDN subscribers, and the Express editions are also
out:

I was lucky enough to attend the launch of Visual Studio 2005, and got a
free copy of VS2005 Pro. This time around, I'm not so lucky and
certainly cannot afford to buy the Pro version of VS2008 :( So I am
resigned to using the Express version.

Not having used an Express version before, I'm unsure of the
differences. Is there something out there that offers a comparison of
the different versions so I can see if there's anything I will miss by
using the Express version?

Cheers,

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

Peter Duniho

[...]
Not having used an Express version before, I'm unsure of the
differences. Is there something out there that offers a comparison of
the different versions so I can see if there's anything I will miss by
using the Express version?

I can't speak for the 2008 version, but having used both Express and
retail versions of 2005, I can say that I found very little in the
retail version that I simply couldn't live without.

That's not to say there's no value in the retail version; I was just
surprised at how functional the free version was.

Things I definitely missed when using the Express version:

* Thread debugging support. Express will break in any thread as
needed, but it offers no UI to switch from one thread to another while
the application is paused.

* Integration. The Express versions are all individual according
to language. This was most noticeable when trying to use C# and
managed C++ together, as I had no obvious way to put a C# project into
the same solution with a C++ project.

* non-Forms, native Win32 support. There's no real resource editor
in the Express version, which means that if you want to develop native
Win32 applications that use dialogs, string tables, etc. you have to
write your .rc file by hand.

There are other differences, but these are the ones that seemed most
significant to me.

That said, you already wrote that you "cannot afford to buy the Pro
version of VS2008", so it seems that this is a moot question. Assuming
you need to use the 2008 version of _something_, you'll be using
Express and you'll soon find out for yourself what's missing. :)

I should have been paying better attention, but have not: can one
somehow upgrade VS2005 to handle C# 3.0? I'm assuming that as with the
other .NET upgrades, no IDE upgrade is required to support it (other
than installing the latest SDK), but I can see how C# 3.0 would require
a new compiler (duh :) ). I'm wondering if the compiler might be
included in an SDK release, allowing someone with a retail version of
VS2005 to continue using it even with the new stuff.

If so, that might be the way to go in your case.

Pete

Dylan Parry

Peter said:
That said, you already wrote that you "cannot afford to buy the Pro
version of VS2008", so it seems that this is a moot question. Assuming
you need to use the 2008 version of _something_, you'll be using
Express and you'll soon find out for yourself what's missing. :)

Well, yes... it was a bit of a moot question, but I do like to be
prepared. I'd rather know now what I am going to miss (if anything) than
find out later and go "arghh!" and start bashing things <g>

From what you've said about the differences for 2005; If the 2008
versions are similarly different [sic], then I don't think I'll even notice!