Vista Wireless and mac filtering

John

I have AP's using WEP and mac filtering for security. All laptops with Windows XP connect fine. Laptops with Vista Bus. connect to the AP but don't receive an address from the DHCP server. I can give the Vista laptop a static address and I'm able to access the network. If I turn off mac filtering, I'm able to access the network. Has anyone ran across this problem?

Chuck

Mac filtering can significantly slow down some routers. Next, it's possible that the filter is not set correctly for the Vista machine.
The Vista machine (a Laptop) I use has more than one MAC address, since it has both an ethernet and a wireless interface.
Even the XP desktop I'm currently using has more than one MAC address, since it has both a "normal" ethernet interface, and a seperate "Gigabit" interface. I also ran into a problem with some wireless routers/APs in motels/hotels when vp6 was active on the laptop.
I'm not sure what the relationship to Vista Business might be--My laptop has ultimate installed.
<John> wrote in message I have AP's using WEP and mac filtering for security. All laptops with Windows XP connect fine. Laptops with Vista Bus. connect to the AP but don't receive an address from the DHCP server. I can give the Vista laptop a static address and I'm able to access the network. If I turn off mac filtering, I'm able to access the network. Has anyone ran across this problem?

Kerry Brown

Both WEP and MAC filtering are essentially useless as security measures. WEP
can be broken in seconds. MACs are easily sniffed then spoofed. I recommend
you switch to WPA or better encryption and disable MAC filtering.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/