Vista Unable to find information in .csv files?

Brian Drab

We have a network directory where we store text files which are output from
an internal system. These files are comma-delimited with a .csv extension.
Often our IT Dept has to search the contents of files in this directory to
locate a piece of information contained within the files. We have been
discouraged as we lost a little respect/trust from our superiors because we
would tell them that it didn't exist or was never processed and then we
would find out that in-deed it was.

After many hours we are finding that searches that we perform on XP machines
in our environment find the files containing the contents we are requesting
but the Vista machines do not. We have tried this on at least three Vista
machines (Two Vista Enterprise 32bit and one Vista Ultimate 32-bit).

Here is a specific example. I'm hoping you will have a
resolution/explanation for me.

Network Directory (only the server name was changed for this post but it's
the same format and number of characters)
\\server-nam\production\prod\MR_EXPORT\Archive

Data I'm searching for
USEQ20070705161

Vista finds nothing.
Windows XP correctly finds two files named as follows:
AP-MR 20070810 031541.csv
AP-MR 20071204 032701.csv

Any ideas? This is just one example but we have many. I've search this
newsgroup and understand there are many other unhappy people but I'm hoping
to avoid any negativity and simply try to resolve this issue. Please let me
know. This is VERY important to us. We need to restore our reputation with
our superiors.

philo

[...]

Compare *exactly* your advanced search options on the XP machines
as compared to your Vista machines.
(Though you probably have done that...for starters I do not want to assume
anything)

Dave Wood [MS]

On Vista the contents of files on non-indexed locations {like network
shares} are not searched by default, just file names. If you go to Control
Panel -> Folder Options -> Search tab there's an option "Always search file
names and contents" which you can select which might help here.

Note also the list of which file types are searched is in the Indexing
Options Control Panel -> Advanced -> File Types.

Alex Xie [MSFT]

Hi Brian,

You can install the add-in for Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for Files on
Microsoft Networks. After that, you'll be able to add the network directory
to the indexed locations via Control Panel > Index Options > Advanced > Add
UNC location. This will ensure the files and content in that network
directory are indexed in Windows Vista.

To install this Windows Desktop Search add-in, visit the KB article below.

Availability of the Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for Files on Microsoft
Networks
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918996

Sincerely,
Alex Xie

Microsoft Online Support Professional

via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

| From: "Brian Drab" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Vista Unable to find information in .csv files?
| Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 18:41:37 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| We have a network directory where we store text files which are output
from
| an internal system. These files are comma-delimited with a .csv
extension.
| Often our IT Dept has to search the contents of files in this directory
| locate a piece of information contained within the files. We have been
| discouraged as we lost a little respect/trust from our superiors because
we
| would tell them that it didn't exist or was never processed and then we
| would find out that in-deed it was.
|
| After many hours we are finding that searches that we perform on XP
machines
| in our environment find the files containing the contents we are
requesting
| but the Vista machines do not. We have tried this on at least three Vista
| machines (Two Vista Enterprise 32bit and one Vista Ultimate 32-bit).
|
| Here is a specific example. I'm hoping you will have a
| resolution/explanation for me.
|
| Network Directory (only the server name was changed for this post but
it's
| the same format and number of characters)
| \\server-nam\production\prod\MR_EXPORT\Archive
|
| Data I'm searching for
| USEQ20070705161
|
| Vista finds nothing.
| Windows XP correctly finds two files named as follows:
| AP-MR 20070810 031541.csv
| AP-MR 20071204 032701.csv
|
| Any ideas? This is just one example but we have many. I've search this
| newsgroup and understand there are many other unhappy people but I'm
hoping
| to avoid any negativity and simply try to resolve this issue. Please let
me
| know. This is VERY important to us. We need to restore our reputation
with
| our superiors.

Brian Drab

So to be clear it sounds as though I can't "accurately" do a search on the
network in Vista without using Windows Desktop Search correct? There is no
way to simply allow Vista to do a search the old way?? Just verifying. Thank
you.

"Alex Xie [MSFT]" said:
Hi Brian,

You can install the add-in for Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for Files on
Microsoft Networks. After that, you'll be able to add the network
directory
to the indexed locations via Control Panel > Index Options > Advanced >
Add
UNC location. This will ensure the files and content in that network
directory are indexed in Windows Vista.

To install this Windows Desktop Search add-in, visit the KB article below.

Availability of the Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for Files on Microsoft
Networks
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918996

Sincerely,
Alex Xie

Microsoft Online Support Professional

via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
rights.

--------------------
| From: "Brian Drab" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Vista Unable to find information in .csv files?
| Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 18:41:37 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| We have a network directory where we store text files which are output
from
| an internal system. These files are comma-delimited with a .csv
extension.
| Often our IT Dept has to search the contents of files in this directory
| locate a piece of information contained within the files. We have been
| discouraged as we lost a little respect/trust from our superiors because
we
| would tell them that it didn't exist or was never processed and then we
| would find out that in-deed it was.
|
| After many hours we are finding that searches that we perform on XP
machines
| in our environment find the files containing the contents we are
requesting
| but the Vista machines do not. We have tried this on at least three
Vista
| machines (Two Vista Enterprise 32bit and one Vista Ultimate 32-bit).
|
| Here is a specific example. I'm hoping you will have a
| resolution/explanation for me.
|
| Network Directory (only the server name was changed for this post but
it's
| the same format and number of characters)
| \\server-nam\production\prod\MR_EXPORT\Archive
|
| Data I'm searching for
| USEQ20070705161
|
| Vista finds nothing.
| Windows XP correctly finds two files named as follows:
| AP-MR 20070810 031541.csv
| AP-MR 20071204 032701.csv
|
| Any ideas? This is just one example but we have many. I've search this
| newsgroup and understand there are many other unhappy people but I'm
hoping
| to avoid any negativity and simply try to resolve this issue. Please let
me
| know. This is VERY important to us. We need to restore our reputation
with
| our superiors.

Alex Xie [MSFT]

Hi Brian,

No, I didn't mean that, to search file contents which locates a network
location, you must install the add-in for Windows Search service on Windows
Vista.

The previous tip was just additional information to what David suggested.

As David indicated, to search the content in a file on network locations,
we just need to modify the Search options in Folder Options by referring to
following steps.

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Folder Options.
2. On the Search tab, select "Always search file names and contents (might
be slow)" under the "What to search" section.
3. Click OK.

After that, you should be able to search the files with the key words in
the file content.

Additionally, installing the add-in for Windows Search service and adding
the network directory to the indexed locations will definitely speedup the
search.

Sincerely,
Alex Xie
Microsoft Online Support Professional

via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| From: "Brian Drab" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Vista Unable to find information in .csv files?
| Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:04:02 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| So to be clear it sounds as though I can't "accurately" do a search on
the
| network in Vista without using Windows Desktop Search correct? There is
no
| way to simply allow Vista to do a search the old way?? Just verifying.
Thank
| you.
|
| | > Hi Brian,
| >
| > You can install the add-in for Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for Files
on
| > Microsoft Networks. After that, you'll be able to add the network
| > directory
| > to the indexed locations via Control Panel > Index Options > Advanced >
| > Add
| > UNC location. This will ensure the files and content in that network
| > directory are indexed in Windows Vista.
| >
| > To install this Windows Desktop Search add-in, visit the KB article
below.

| > Availability of the Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for Files on
Microsoft
| > Networks
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918996
| >
| > Sincerely,
| > Alex Xie
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support Professional
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > ================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
| > via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue.
| > ================================================
| > rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Brian Drab" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Vista Unable to find information in .csv files?
| > | Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 18:41:37 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| > | locate a piece of information contained within the files. We have been
| > | discouraged as we lost a little respect/trust from our superiors
because
| > we
| > | would tell them that it didn't exist or was never processed and then
we
| > | would find out that in-deed it was.
| > |
| > | After many hours we are finding that searches that we perform on XP
| > machines
| > | in our environment find the files containing the contents we are
| > requesting
| > | but the Vista machines do not. We have tried this on at least three
| > Vista
| > | machines (Two Vista Enterprise 32bit and one Vista Ultimate 32-bit).
| > |
| > | Here is a specific example. I'm hoping you will have a
| > | resolution/explanation for me.
| > |
| > | Network Directory (only the server name was changed for this post but
| > it's
| > | the same format and number of characters)
| > | \\server-nam\production\prod\MR_EXPORT\Archive
| > |
| > | Data I'm searching for
| > | USEQ20070705161
| > |
| > | Vista finds nothing.
| > | Windows XP correctly finds two files named as follows:
| > | AP-MR 20070810 031541.csv
| > | AP-MR 20071204 032701.csv
| > |
| > | Any ideas? This is just one example but we have many. I've search this
| > | newsgroup and understand there are many other unhappy people but I'm
| > hoping
| > | to avoid any negativity and simply try to resolve this issue. Please
let
| > me
| > | know. This is VERY important to us. We need to restore our reputation
| > with
| > | our superiors.
| > |
| > |
| > |

Alex Xie [MSFT]

Hi Brian,

Just want to say Hi, and I am writing to see if the information was
helpful. If anything is unclear, please let me know. It is my pleasure to
be of assistance.

Thanks!

Regards,
Alex Xie
Microsoft Online Support Professional

via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Alex Xie [MSFT]")
| Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 06:43:54 GMT
| Subject: Re: Vista Unable to find information in .csv files?
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hi Brian,
|
| No, I didn't mean that, to search file contents which locates a network
| location, you must install the add-in for Windows Search service on
Windows
| Vista.
|
| The previous tip was just additional information to what David suggested.
|
| As David indicated, to search the content in a file on network locations,
| we just need to modify the Search options in Folder Options by referring
| following steps.
|
| 1. Click Start > Control Panel > Folder Options.
| 2. On the Search tab, select "Always search file names and contents
(might
| be slow)" under the "What to search" section.
| 3. Click OK.
|
| After that, you should be able to search the files with the key words in
| the file content.
|
| Additionally, installing the add-in for Windows Search service and adding
| the network directory to the indexed locations will definitely speedup
the
| search.
|
| Sincerely,
| Alex Xie
| Microsoft Online Support Professional
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| ================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
| via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ================================================
rights.
| --------------------
| | From: "Brian Drab" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Vista Unable to find information in .csv files?
| | Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:04:02 -0500
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| |
| | So to be clear it sounds as though I can't "accurately" do a search on
| the
| | network in Vista without using Windows Desktop Search correct? There is
| no
| | way to simply allow Vista to do a search the old way?? Just verifying.
| Thank
| | you.
| |

| | > You can install the add-in for Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for
Files
| on
| | > Microsoft Networks. After that, you'll be able to add the network
| | > directory
| | > to the indexed locations via Control Panel > Index Options > Advanced| | > Add
| | > UNC location. This will ensure the files and content in that network
| | > directory are indexed in Windows Vista.
| | >
| | > To install this Windows Desktop Search add-in, visit the KB article
| below.
| | >
| | > Availability of the Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for Files on
| Microsoft
| | > Networks
| | > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918996
| | >
| | > Sincerely,
| | > Alex Xie
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Support Professional
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| | > ================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
| | > via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
| issue.
| | > ================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.
| | >
| | > --------------------
| because
| | > we