Vista Locking Up


N

Nharri

I Recently put together a new cpu, using Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. But for
some reason the system keeps randomly locking up in 10-20 min intervals that
I have to restart the system every time. Also when I try to install Vista 64
bit SP1 at the end of installation it tells me there is an internal error. Is
this simply a case of bad Ram or something more?? Here is the system specs.

-AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
-GIGABYTE GA-MA770-S3 ATX AMD Motherboard
-XION Solaris XON-404 Black with Blue LED Light Computer Case
-CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Dual Channel
-XFX GeForce 8600 GT PVT84JZAFG Video Card
-ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

PvdG42

Nharri said:
I Recently put together a new cpu, using Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. But
for
some reason the system keeps randomly locking up in 10-20 min intervals
that
I have to restart the system every time. Also when I try to install Vista
64
bit SP1 at the end of installation it tells me there is an internal error.
Is
this simply a case of bad Ram or something more?? Here is the system
specs.

-AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
-GIGABYTE GA-MA770-S3 ATX AMD Motherboard
-XION Solaris XON-404 Black with Blue LED Light Computer Case
-CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Dual Channel
-XFX GeForce 8600 GT PVT84JZAFG Video Card
-ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC

Have you thoroughly tested your memory using a reliable tool, like Memtest
86 (Google for it)?
Report results.
Are you monitoring temperatures? Tell us your ambient (room) temperature,
plus your case and CPU temperatures at idle and under full load.
 
P

PvdG42

Nharri said:
I Recently put together a new cpu, using Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. But
for
some reason the system keeps randomly locking up in 10-20 min intervals
that
I have to restart the system every time. Also when I try to install Vista
64
bit SP1 at the end of installation it tells me there is an internal error.
Is
this simply a case of bad Ram or something more?? Here is the system
specs.

-AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
-GIGABYTE GA-MA770-S3 ATX AMD Motherboard
-XION Solaris XON-404 Black with Blue LED Light Computer Case
-CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Dual Channel
-XFX GeForce 8600 GT PVT84JZAFG Video Card
-ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC

Oops! One other thing...
What about your PSU? Your hardware is power hungry. PSU make, model and
specs (12v, 5v and 3.3v rail output, how many 12v rails)?
 
C

Colin Barnhorst

The easiest place to start is to reseat all the cards and cables, especially
if you have been recently moving the box around a lot. As PvdG42 mentions,
make sure the power supply is powerful enough for all your equipment.
 
N

Nharri

I ran the Mem test and one stick locked up the Mem test twice, while one
stick went through the test fine.
The cpu temp sits at about 39 degreees Celsius
The power supply is 450w
 
P

PvdG42

Nharri said:
I ran the Mem test and one stick locked up the Mem test twice, while one
stick went through the test fine.
The cpu temp sits at about 39 degreees Celsius
The power supply is 450w
So, you've discovered unstable/bad memory. That could be the entire problem.
However, AMD recommends minimum 600W PSU for Phenoms, so you should consider
changing that as well. Get a good one with at least two 12v rails.
 
Ad

Advertisements

T

Tony

First off do you have the Ram in the right slots. They both should be in the
yellow slots.
As for SP1 error you have a driver problem. check to see if all you drivers
are correct and they are install correctly.
If you are using the 196 drivers for your geforce 8600 card use the older
driver I had to do that so SP1 would install then I upgraded to the 196
drivers and all work fine.
 
N

Nharri

Could the weak PSU be the reason for it locking up? If I try to load a
graphicly demanding game the PC locks up in a matter of seconds.
 
C

Colin Barnhorst

There is only one ACPI x64 driver, but I don't remember if there is only one
for x86 since all my Vista machines are running x64. Thats a good question
maybe one the gurus here will answer.
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

PvdG42

Nharri said:
Could the weak PSU be the reason for it locking up? If I try to load a
graphicly demanding game the PC locks up in a matter of seconds.
Yes, it's possible because your power hungry graphics card is probably
drawing max current when gaming. However, check out your graphics drivers.
You got another response about a specific graphics drivers version being
problematical for SP1. The fact that you lock up when you run a "graphicly
demanding game" (my interpretation: 3D graphics) may indicate other driver
issues
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top