Vista KMS -

Ron

Hello,

After setting up 25+ computers all running Vista and will be activated
through our KMS server, running the command "slmgr -dli" will prove that we
have reached the required 25 activated count. After a while, our count will
drop below the required 25, and we will have to start all over. In some
cases, a workstation would be totally locked out and will not be able to
activate until we re-image that specific drive.

Before running Ghost, on a master hard drive, I would install Vista, apps,
etc. Then I would run SYSPREP OOBE with GENERALIZE checked, and to have the
computer shut down. Once the computer shuts down, I would use the same hard
drive as the Master Image, and run Ghost. Once the image has been rolled
over to the secondary drive, I would then boot up the computer with the
second drive and begin setting Vista, just like a brand new install. I would
then begin building my count up to 25.

Why does the count drop below 25, and am I missing a step when preparing a
new workstation? We have gone through this at least 2 or 3 times now.

Thanks

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Ron,
The KMS host maintains a count of the physical machines that access it for
the past 30 days.
So 25 machines would need to request activation every 30 days.
Use the link and text below.

Activation Count Cache
To track the activation threshold, the KMS host keeps a track of the KMS
clients that request activation. Each KMS client that connects to the KMS
host is given a unique client identification (CMID) that is saved to a
table on the KMS host. Each activation request remains in the table for 30
days. When a client renews its activation, the cached CMID is removed from
the table, a new record is created, and the 30-day period begins again. If
a KMS client does not renew its activation within 30 days, the
corresponding CMID is removed from the table and the activation count is
reduced by one.

The KMS host caches twice the number of CMIDs that KMS clients require for
activation. For example, on a network with Windows Vista clients, the KMS
activation threshold is 25. This KMS host caches the CMIDs of the most
recent 50 activations. The KMS activation threshold for Windows Server 2008
is 5. A KMS host that is only contacted by Windows Server 2008 KMS clients
caches the 10 most recent CMIDs. If that KMS host is later contacted by
Windows Vista, it increases the cache size to 50 to accommodate the higher
activation count requirement.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]