Vista freezes when copying files to external hdd

Cammo7447

Hi all,

recently I have been trying to back up all my movies pics etc to a
Lacie 1tb external hdd. We have had it for a while, it worked fine for
a month, then we started experiencing difficulties with it and it
remained in the too hard basket until now.

Basically, I am running vista home premium
premium on a Dell inspiron 6400 with 2gig ram (bought separately to
improve performance). When when copying files to the hdd windows simply
freezes. Anyone know of a fix for this? It's driving me nuts!

PvdG42

Cammo7447 said:
Hi all,

recently I have been trying to back up all my movies pics etc to a
Lacie 1tb external hdd. We have had it for a while, it worked fine for
a month, then we started experiencing difficulties with it and it
remained in the too hard basket until now.

Basically, I am running vista home premium
premium on a Dell inspiron 6400 with 2gig ram (bought separately to
improve performance). When when copying files to the hdd windows simply
freezes. Anyone know of a fix for this? It's driving me nuts!

What happens if you try to copy the same size/number files to the external
drive from a different PC/OS? That test would exonerate or convict the drive
itself.

Cammo7447

--
Cammo7447-

What happens if you try to copy the same size/number files to the
external
drive from a different PC/OS? That test would exonerate or convict the
drive
itself.

I cant say that ive tried... ill get back to you...

kristain

I was also facing the same problem. I completely restore Vista partition. However, in the middle of the restore from USB Hard disk drive, the backup complained about faulty archive and I ended up with no working C: partition. I reinstalled Vista and almost all the programs. However, as the reinstall started from a situation, where there was empty space instead of C:, I noticed only after the install that Vista had set the BCD boot files to D:, while the Vista is quite correctly installed to the recreated C: