Vista and ethernet modem

S

Stuart Falconer

I am trying to get my new Dell Dimension 9200 to connect with my broadband account, without much success. The system has an Intel double-core 2.3Ghz CPU, 2Gb ram and loads of hard drive space. My modem is D-Link DSL-320T ethernet, which works perfectly with my Toshiba laptop running XP Home. My ISP - PlusNet - reckon an ethernet modem ought to be able to connect with just about anything. D-Link's call centre is located somewhere in Asia and the lines are often unreliable. Dell's suggestion was to re-install the operating system, which I have done three times, to no avail.

A couple of times, with help from D-Link's phone helpline, I have managed to access the internet, but the modem settings don't stick. The following day I can't get online. There are no separate drivers for the modem. All the setup software is contained in the modem and in XP this can be accessed via 192.168 etc. Vista simply can't do this. It is as if all the access wizards and settings have been pre-set and locked in. Vista's internal diagnostics are useless.

I am led to believe that I am not the only one having this problem. The Windows world seems to be divided into two camps: those who are having this problem and those who don't know what all the fuss is about. It has been suggested to me that maybe I could rig something up using a wireless modem, but I don't like wireless modems. Call me a Luddite if you like, but if is doesn't come down a wire I don't want to use it.

It occurs to me that the modem market may not be up to speed yet with Vista. I am thinking of setting up a partition to run XP on the new system until the day dawns when I can get Vista to talk to a modem, either with modification to Vista or a new ethernet modem.

If anyone knows about this problem, I would love to hear from them.

Stuart

M

Mr. Arnold

I am trying to get my new Dell Dimension 9200 to connect with my broadband account, without much success. The system has an Intel double-core 2.3Ghz CPU, 2Gb ram and loads of hard drive space. My modem is D-Link DSL-320T ethernet, which works perfectly with my Toshiba laptop running XP Home. My ISP - PlusNet - reckon an ethernet modem ought to be able to connect with just about anything. D-Link's call centre is located somewhere in Asia and the lines are often unreliable.

Dell's suggestion was to re-install the operating system, which I have done three times, to no avail.

Re-install the O/S because a standalone modem that the O/S doesn't control is having problems is absolute nonsense.

A couple of times, with help from D-Link's phone helpline, I have managed to access the internet, but the modem settings don't stick. The following day I can't get online. There are no separate drivers for the modem. All the setup software is contained in the modem and in XP this can be accessed via 192.168 etc. Vista simply can't do this. It is as if all the access wizards and settings have been pre-set and locked in. Vista's internal diagnostics are useless.

That D-Link DSL-320T has a Web base UI that is accessed via any browser running on the computer at Http://192.168.xxx.xxx being entered in the browser's address line.

Vista itself has nothing to do with the configuration of that modem, other than, providing a browser so the device's Web UI can be accessed to configure the device.

If those modem settings don't stick, then there is something wrong with the modem or you are not saving the settings properly, when you exit the browser UI.

I am led to believe that I am not the only one having this problem. The Windows world seems to be divided into two camps: those who are having this problem and those who don't know what all the fuss is about. It has been suggested to me that maybe I could rig something up using a wireless modem, but I don't like wireless modems. Call me a Luddite if you like, but if is doesn't come down a wire I don't want to use it.

It occurs to me that the modem market may not be up to speed yet with Vista. I am thinking of setting up a partition to run XP on the new system until the day dawns when I can get Vista to talk to a modem, either with modification to Vista or a new ethernet modem.

I don't know man all that above that you're talking about seems questionable to say the least about it.

Vista has nothing to do with the configuration of that modem.

G

GTS

When you have the problem. are you getting an IP address from the modem? (Run ipconfig in a command prompt and advise what is shown as the IP.) If not, this may apply
Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

If you are getting valid IP address there may be a different issue which affects some DSL connections..
See The MS-CHAP version 1 authentication protocol has been deprecated in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926170/en-us

I am trying to get my new Dell Dimension 9200 to connect with my broadband account, without much success. The system has an Intel double-core 2.3Ghz CPU, 2Gb ram and loads of hard drive space. My modem is D-Link DSL-320T ethernet, which works perfectly with my Toshiba laptop running XP Home. My ISP - PlusNet - reckon an ethernet modem ought to be able to connect with just about anything. D-Link's call centre is located somewhere in Asia and the lines are often unreliable. Dell's suggestion was to re-install the operating system, which I have done three times, to no avail.

If anyone knows about this problem, I would love to hear from them.

Stuart

P

PlusNet Support Team

Stuart said:
I am trying to get my new Dell Dimension 9200 to connect with my
broadband account, without much success. The system has an Intel
double-core 2.3Ghz CPU, 2Gb ram and loads of hard drive space. My modem
is D-Link DSL-320T ethernet, which works perfectly with my Toshiba
laptop running XP Home. My ISP - PlusNet - reckon an ethernet modem
ought to be able to connect with just about anything.

Hi there,

Does the modem require software drivers? If it does then you may have
difficulty running it on Vista. If it's ethernet based though then I'm
guessing it doesn't.

What's the IP address of the modem? (ie/ what address do you enter into
a browser to get to the config pages?

If DHCP is buggered as another poster appears to be implying then it may
be worth your while specifying the network details manually in the
TCP/IP properties of the NIC.

Go to network connections and have a look for the one that relates to
the ethernet port your modem plugs into. Once there right-click the
connection and select 'Properties'. Highlght 'Internet Protocol Version
4' and click 'Properties' again.

Select the two options 'Use the following IP address' and 'Use the
following DNS server addresses'

In there enter the following details:-

IP Address: 192.168.1.2 (use the address of your modem here but alter
the last octet to something different between 2 and 254)

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (this should be the address of your modem)

Preferred DNS server: 212.159.6.9

Alternate DNS server: 212.159.6.10

Once you've done the above 'OK' al the changes, restart your PC and then
try accessing your modem settings again. Make sure your connection
details are all OK and then give things another go.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Rgds,

Ask a Question