Vista 32bit does not recognise 4GB memory

I am having a problem with Windows Vista 32bit. I have installed 4GB Kingston
667 memory on an ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard. Vista only recognises 3GB of
the memory. I understand that certain devies require memory mapped access. I
have a 256MB video card that will take up sojme of the available address
space. I also understand that 32bit versions of Vista limit the total
available memory to 3.12GB.

I have attempted to enable the memory remapping feature in the BIOS setup.
When I return to Vista, it only recognizes 2GB of memory.

Is there any way around this problem other than installing the 64bit version
of Vista?

In addition, if installing the 64bit version of Vista, will all of my
applications run successfully? I do have a few custom business apps running
and I do not know whether they have drivers for 64bit operation.

Thanks I realize that all of this is quite complex, but I am curious as to
whether there are any answers out there.

GreatGuruMemsahib said:
[...]

It is not a problem. You can look in your BIOS and see if you have 4GB. The
operating system has to have some space allocated for it to do its work; it
needs buffers for I/O and needs to have memory to allocate for the data
structures it needs to keep track of things. The 3.12GB is the amount of
space that can be allocated for your Working Set. Actually, your working set
in memory at any one time may be less. There may also be other programs in
memory at the same time; such as your mail agent that periodically checks for
mail. Ideally, the operating system tries to keep in memory what it may need
next. If it doesn't have it in memory then it has to fetched from virtual
memory. That may mean that other parts of your working set that are not
likely to be needed are overlaid by the code bing fetched.

I don't think you need to go to 64-bit just because 64-bit can address 2^64
locations. If you have only 4GB of memory and a 64-bit operating system there
will still be the same allocation for the operating system. If you add memory
over 4GB then you will need a 64-bit operating system to access the memory
above 2^32 locations.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Sorry but no. The hardware in the system is reserving the address space.
Since 32-bit processors are limited to 4 gig of address space, hardware
that requries addressing( like video cards or other devices including PCI)
has to reserve some of the address space, thus limiting the amount of RAM
that is available to Windows. Windows is not reserving that memory, the
hardware in the system is reserving that space. Since there is a
limitation of 4 gig of address space and there is overlap, the amount of
RAM that can be addressed is reduced by the amount of address space the
hardware requests.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?cm9nZWxhaA==?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: RE: Vista 32bit does not recognise 4GB memory
|>Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:56:47 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>

|>"GreatGuruMemsahib" wrote:
|>
|>> I am having a problem with Windows Vista 32bit. I have installed 4GB
Kingston
|>> 667 memory on an ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard. Vista only recognises 3GB
of
|>> the memory. I understand that certain devies require memory mapped
access. I
|>> have a 256MB video card that will take up sojme of the available
address
|>> space. I also understand that 32bit versions of Vista limit the total
|>> available memory to 3.12GB.
|>>
|>> I have attempted to enable the memory remapping feature in the BIOS
setup.
|>> When I return to Vista, it only recognizes 2GB of memory.
|>>
|>> Is there any way around this problem other than installing the 64bit
version
|>> of Vista?
|>>
|>> In addition, if installing the 64bit version of Vista, will all of my
|>> applications run successfully? I do have a few custom business apps
running
|>> and I do not know whether they have drivers for 64bit operation.
|>>
|>> Thanks I realize that all of this is quite complex, but I am curious as
|>> whether there are any answers out there.
|>
|>It is not a problem. You can look in your BIOS and see if you have 4GB.
The
|>operating system has to have some space allocated for it to do its work;
it
|>needs buffers for I/O and needs to have memory to allocate for the data
|>structures it needs to keep track of things. The 3.12GB is the amount of
|>space that can be allocated for your Working Set. Actually, your working
set
|>in memory at any one time may be less. There may also be other programs
in
|>memory at the same time; such as your mail agent that periodically checks
for
|>mail. Ideally, the operating system tries to keep in memory what it may
need
|>next. If it doesn't have it in memory then it has to fetched from virtual
|>memory. That may mean that other parts of your working set that are not
|>likely to be needed are overlaid by the code bing fetched.
|>
|>I don't think you need to go to 64-bit just because 64-bit can address
2^64
|>locations. If you have only 4GB of memory and a 64-bit operating system
there
|>will still be the same allocation for the operating system. If you add
memory
|>over 4GB then you will need a 64-bit operating system to access the
memory
|>above 2^32 locations.

Joe Guidera

Agreed, however shouldn't enabling memory re-mapping (which if I recall maps
the address space above the 16GB line which properly allows hardware devices
to map within the first 4GB of address space) solve the issue? Or does
Vista not handle this? I know server does, but does Vista?

Joe

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
> [...]

|>memory at the same time; such as your mail agent that periodically
checks
for
|>mail. Ideally, the operating system tries to keep in memory what it may
need
|>next. If it doesn't have it in memory then it has to fetched from
virtual
|>memory. That may mean that other parts of your working set that are not
|>likely to be needed are overlaid by the code bing fetched.
|>
|>I don't think you need to go to 64-bit just because 64-bit can address
2^64
|>locations. If you have only 4GB of memory and a 64-bit operating system
there
|>will still be the same allocation for the operating system. If you add
memory
|>over 4GB then you will need a 64-bit operating system to access the

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Joe,
The firmware has to support the re-mapping. (workstation and server
machines usually do)
The processor has to support the remapping( most current processors should).
You need to be running with PAE enabled
Now the hardware can be remapped above the 4 gig addess space. However not
all drivers work well after being remapped so other issues can occur.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Joe Guidera" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista 32bit does not recognise 4GB memory
|>Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 20:23:58 -0600
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Agreed, however shouldn't enabling memory re-mapping (which if I recall
maps
|>the address space above the 16GB line which properly allows hardware
devices
|>to map within the first 4GB of address space) solve the issue? Or does
|>Vista not handle this? I know server does, but does Vista?
|>
|>Joe

|>> Sorry but no. The hardware in the system is reserving the address
space.
|>> Since 32-bit processors are limited to 4 gig of address space, hardware
|>> that requries addressing( like video cards or other devices including
PCI)
|>> has to reserve some of the address space, thus limiting the amount of
RAM
|>> that is available to Windows. Windows is not reserving that memory, the
|>> hardware in the system is reserving that space. Since there is a
|>> limitation of 4 gig of address space and there is overlap, the amount of
|>> RAM that can be addressed is reduced by the amount of address space the
|>> hardware requests.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

|>> Kingston
|>> 3GB
|>> of
|>> access. I
|>> address

|>> setup.

|>> version

|>> running

|>> as

|>> The
|>> it
|>> set
|>> in
|>> checks
|>> for
|>> need
|>> virtual

|>> 2^64
|>> there
|>> memory
|>> memory

Joe Guidera

That's what I meant. Does Vista support PAE? I believe for example that XP
did not (only available in Windows Server) so the maximum amount of usable
memory was 3GB.

Joe

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Joe,
The firmware has to support the re-mapping. (workstation and server
machines usually do)
The processor has to support the remapping( most current processors
should).
You need to be running with PAE enabled
Now the hardware can be remapped above the 4 gig addess space. However
not
all drivers work well after being remapped so other issues can occur.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Joe Guidera" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista 32bit does not recognise 4GB memory
|>Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 20:23:58 -0600
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Agreed, however shouldn't enabling memory re-mapping (which if I recall
maps
|>the address space above the 16GB line which properly allows hardware
devices
|>to map within the first 4GB of address space) solve the issue? Or does
|>Vista not handle this? I know server does, but does Vista?
|>
|>Joe

message
|>> Sorry but no. The hardware in the system is reserving the address
space.
|>> Since 32-bit processors are limited to 4 gig of address space,
hardware
|>> that requries addressing( like video cards or other devices including
PCI)
|>> has to reserve some of the address space, thus limiting the amount of
RAM
|>> that is available to Windows. Windows is not reserving that memory,
the
|>> hardware in the system is reserving that space. Since there is a
|>> limitation of 4 gig of address space and there is overlap, the amount
of
|>> RAM that can be addressed is reduced by the amount of address space
the
|>> hardware requests.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

|>> Kingston
|>> 3GB
|>> of
|>> access. I
|>> address

BIOS
|>> setup.

|>> version

|>> running

|>> as

|>> The
|>> it
amount
of
|>> set
|>> in
|>> checks
|>> for
|>> need
|>> virtual

|>> 2^64
|>> there
|>> memory
|>> memory

Pl. check this KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us
"If a computer has 4 gigabytes (GB) of random-access memory (RAM) installed,
the system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in
Windows Vista is less than you expect"

For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of
memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements:
• The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that
have this capability include the following:
• Intel 975X
• Intel P965
• Intel 955X on Socket 775
• Chipsets that support AMD processors that use socket F, socket 940, socket
939, or socket AM2. These chipsets include any AMD socket and CPU combination
in which the memory controller resides in the CPU.
• The CPU must support the x64 instruction set. The AMD64 CPU and the Intel
EM64T CPU support this instruction set.
• The BIOS must support the memory remapping feature. The memory remapping
feature allows for the segment of system memory that was previously
overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) configuration
space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line. This feature must be
enabled in the BIOS configuration utility on the computer. View your computer
product documentation for instructions that explain how to enable this
feature. Many consumer-oriented computers may not support the memory
remapping feature. No standard terminology is used in documentation or in
BIOS configuration utilities for this feature. Therefore, you may have to
read the descriptions of the various BIOS configuration settings that are
available to determine whether any of the settings enable the memory
remapping feature.
• An x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista must be used.

Then it also talks of
PAE-mode-induced driver compatibility issues.

Pl. check the KB article for complete reading.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

vasudev

Joe Guidera

Hmm, that article would seem to suggest that PAE is, in fact, supported on
Vista (and it must be automatic as I don't see a reference to modifying the
boot to enable it). Interesting. But to some extent the article is also
self contradictory. I.E. it says you need one of the name chipsets but then
goes on to say that you need a chipset that supports the X64 instruction set
(which if you had you shouldn't need PAE if you're using Vista X64 as it
should be using a flat address space capable of much larger than 4GB of
address space).

Digging back in memory PAE/MMIO and re-mapping above the 16GB line only
applied to X32 (as the 32-bit word had a maximum value of 4GB).

Thanks for the article reference. Still isn't real clear (and to be honest
my question was more academic than otherwise). If MS is reading this they
should perhaps clarify the article.

I believe what they were getting at was you needed EITHER a chipset and BIOS
that supports remapping above the 4GB line (e.g. PAE) OR a chipset with X64
instruction support (meaning you have an address space larger than 4GB to
work with to begin with). If either of the above is true Vista should
correctly report the installed memory of 4GB. It also goes on to warn that
while the hardware might properly support it, and the OS might properly
support it, your drivers might not <g> More likely in a 32-bit than in 64.

Cheers,

Tom Lake

Joe Guidera said:
Hmm, that article would seem to suggest that PAE is, in fact, supported on
Vista (and it must be automatic as I don't see a reference to modifying
the boot to enable it).

No, it's not automatic. You can't use a simple text editor to change
boot.ini
and enable it as you could in XP, though.
You can use VistaBootPRO (available free at the link below) to set it.

http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/

Tom Lake