Visited Links Don't Change Color!

jessyel

My visited links are no longer changing color (to the
default purple). My history is set to 75 days long. The
links colors under Internet Options' General Tab are
still different. What the heck is going on?

I investigated the index.dat file in C:\Documents and
Settings\Owner\Local Settings\History and found something
interesting. When I delete this index.dat file, the links
start changing color again. When I bring it back in (I
have a backup of it), the links don't change color again.
I want to keep this file since it has all the visited
links of scholarships I've applied to. I don't want to
start fresh and apply for the same scholarships (there's
fee's involved). And there's around 200 I've applied to,
so I need these links. However, for the same reason, I
need the new ones to change color.

How do I fix this problem so that the visited link colors
start changing again? Thanks in advance...

Hans Le Roy

Hi,

I guess IE cannot read the backupped DAT file, so that's what no longer
works...

Kind regards

Hans Le Roy
MS MVP Win/IE-OE

jessyel

I went to the site and downloaded it, but it won't work
on Windows XP. Do you know of anything else (free) that
will work or read the history...?
I believe that the only fix for this is to delete the History folder (and
index.dat.) This freeware program may help in some way:
History Book for IE5 (works fine with IE6)
http://www.dewassoc.com/support/useful/historybook_ie5.ht m

75 days is a long time to keep history. That probably increased the odds of
corruption in the History folder.

Hope this helps,
Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"jessyel" <Jessyel.Gonzalez[at]Colorado.edu> wrote in message
[...]

.

Don Varnau

Sorry. I knew that the program predated XP. I didn't take a look at the
ReadMe file.

Maybe you could setup a new user account and leave the corrupted History
folder in the current account.

I wish I had a better idea.

Don