virusprotect in system tray

NewsGroup

A friend had a malware called virusprotect on his PC. It hijacked his
browser and filled his screen up with pop ups.
I was able to remove everything except the system tray notification window.
I adjusted the host file so virusprotect can never be reached, but I was
wondering how I can remove this from the system tray. Everything else is
running normal- so now he doesnt want a reinstall..

Thanks

CRaig

pcbutts1

Use Remove-it version 18, it's fast and free. It now has over 9500
signatures to remove All variants of Rogue scanners, Desktop/Homepage
Hijackers, Trojans, Codec's, and related Malware/Spyware. Download it here
http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/tools/tools.htm

Leythos

pcbutts1 said:
Remove-it version 18
Hosted on the same site as filthy pornographic material created by
butts, blocks access (according to butts) to reputable malware sites, no
backup of deleted files/data.....

Do you really want to trust something like that?
--

Leythos - (e-mail address removed) (remove 999 to email me)

Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS 1.COM
that create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a
look at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
'exposed to kids'.

Victek

A friend had a malware called virusprotect on his PC. It hijacked his
browser and filled his screen up with pop ups.
I was able to remove everything except the system tray notification
window. I adjusted the host file so virusprotect can never be reached, but
I was wondering how I can remove this from the system tray. Everything
else is running normal- so now he doesnt want a reinstall..

Thanks

CRaig

I would try running Smitfraudfix which can be found here:

http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

jen

NewsGroup said:
A friend had a malware called virusprotect on his PC. It hijacked his
browser and filled his screen up with pop ups.
I was able to remove everything except the system tray notification
window. I adjusted the host file so virusprotect can never be reached,
but I was wondering how I can remove this from the system tray.
Everything else is running normal- so now he doesnt want a reinstall..

If you are *positively sure* Virusprotect is removed, try this:

How to Clear Past Items from the Notification Area:

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the
registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and
make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem
occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the
registry, click the following article number to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/EN-US/ Description of the
Microsoft Windows Registry
SUMMARY:
This article describes how to clear the Past Items list in the Customize
Notifications window.
MORE INFORMATION:
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from
using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To clear the Past Items list, perform the following steps:

1. Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following
registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

2. Open Task Manager, click the Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, and
then click End Process.

3. In Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, and then
click OK.

APPLIES TO:
..Microsoft Windows XP Professional
..Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283084

*NOTE* If you are leery of mucking about in the registry, use this:
"Remove Past Items" tool:
(Save to Desktop, then double click)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_pastitems.vbs

-jen