Subject: virus
From: "Jon_Dear" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 6/3/2004 6:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time

A friend of mine called and said his company's IT manager (outside) informed
them that they had a virus named JDBGMGR.EXE was a virus and to delete the
file from their computers. I checked and had the file on two Win 98
computers but did not have it on the XP computer. I clicked on the file
"Properties" and it read, "Microsoft {TM} Java Debugger". A small file.
Anyone heard of this?

Jon
Jon_Dear,
It's one of the oldest hoaxes on the Net. It's a standard Windows file. Unless
you're writing Java Applications it doesn't matter whether you have it or not.
It is, however, most assuredly NOT a virus.

Cheers,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Carey Frisch [MVP]

This is an email hoax and tries to encourage you to delete a legitimate Windows file
from your computer. Jdbgmgr.exe is the file to which the hoax refers,
and it is the Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java. The Jdbgmgr.exe file
may be installed when you install Windows.

Jdbgmgr.exe file hoax
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

----- Jon_Dear wrote: ----

A friend of mine called and said his company's IT manager (outside) informe
them that they had a virus named JDBGMGR.EXE was a virus and to delete th
file from their computers. I checked and had the file on two Win 9
computers but did not have it on the XP computer. I clicked on the fil
"Properties" and it read, "Microsoft {TM} Java Debugger". A small file
Anyone heard of this

Jo

A very old hoa

http://symantec.com/search

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

If that is true, then that company needs to find a new IT manager.

Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java Is Not a Virus [Q322993]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322993

You would need to reinstall Java to regain that file. You can get that here:
http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html

However, it is entirely unnecessary as that file is used by programmers for
debugging. Unless you are one, you will never need it.

--
Best of Luck,

Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone

Ken Blake, MVP

In
Jon_Dear said:
A friend of mine called and said his company's IT manager (outside)
informed them that they had a virus named JDBGMGR.EXE was a virus and
to delete the file from their computers. I checked and had the file
on two Win 98 computers but did not have it on the XP computer. I
clicked on the file "Properties" and it read, "Microsoft {TM} Java
Debugger". A small file. Anyone heard of this?

It's amazing that an IT manager would fall for this very old and
very well-known hoax.

Fortunately, as hoaxes go, the effect of this one is very mild.
Yes, it is a Windows file and no, it shouldn't be deleted. But
the file is the Java debug manager, needed only by Java
programmers. Since you're obviously not a Java programmer (if you
were, you would know not to delete it), there would be no real
harm been done if you did delete it. You don't need the file, and
although it's easy enough to get back, you don't need to bother.

Next time, don't be ready to believe E-mail messages about
viruses, even if sent by your closest friends. Almost all of them
are hoaxes, spread by unwitting dupes of the hoaxsters.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

I think that that so-called "IT manager" would be better able to
use his talents flipping burgers at McDonalds.

This is a very, very old hoax; one of the oldest currently in
circulation. If your antivirus software is current and detects
nothing, you're most likely safe. Do nothing with the named file,
delete the email, and tell whomever sent you the original message to
check their facts before spreading rumors.

Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java Is Not a Virus
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q322993

Jdbgmgr.exe file Hoax
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

It's important to remember that almost _any_ email virus warning
is a hoax, designed primarily to bog down email systems by having
well-meaning but uniformed people send out hundreds of otherwise
valueless email warnings. When you receive a warning like this, the
*first* thing you should do is check its veracity at one or more of
the following web sites:

Symantec Security Response - Hoax Page
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

F-Secure Security Information Center - Hoaxes
http://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/hoax/

Trend Micro Hoax Encyclopedia, alerts
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoax.asp

Bruce Chambers