Virus can't be removed!

Chuck Davis

Trying to remove viruses and other junk from a Club member's computer. I
have executed just about every virus, malware, adware removal program that I
can find.
The member bought the computer years ago, but never activated the Norton
products. Never updated Windows, never... oh! never mind!

To prevent access to the Internet by the malware programs, I downloaded and
installed the COMODO Firewall.
Ad-aware removed 51 malware programs.

Downloaded and installed AVG Anti-virus which found 65 viruses and healed
63, but cannot heal or quarantine this item.
Trendmicro's online scan gets to the file and aborts.

It is found at: c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hlpl.dll

I have attempted to simply delete it. The response is that "Access denied...
may be 'Read Only""
I start up in Safe Mode, same results. Then I attempted to turn off the Read
Only access to the SYSTEM32 folder, seemed to work for a few files, but the
stopped at that particular .dll file with the "Access denied..." message.
I have started in Safe Mode With Command Prompt. Still can't delete the
file!

At this point, I installed Service Pack 2 and the 65 critical updates since
SP2 was issued. Installed IE7. Ran Windows Live OneCare which found several
additional viruses, but couldn't resolve this issue.

All of this for a $20 donation that the member will donate to the club!

Any thoughts? How can I delete the .dll?

Frankster

Chuck Davis said:
[...]

I'll tell you for $20! LOL! Just kidding!

You might try booting from any one of numerous CD boot programs that allow
access to NTFS partitions (I assume it's NTFS, whatever...) and delete it
from the command line. Usually, if you have not booted from the drive, you
can delete anything on it.

-Frank

David H. Lipman

From: "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com>

| Trying to remove viruses and other junk from a Club member's computer. I
| have executed just about every virus, malware, adware removal program that I
| can find.
| The member bought the computer years ago, but never activated the Norton
| products. Never updated Windows, never... oh! never mind!
|
| To prevent access to the Internet by the malware programs, I downloaded and
| installed the COMODO Firewall.
| Ad-aware removed 51 malware programs.
|
| Downloaded and installed AVG Anti-virus which found 65 viruses and healed
| 63, but cannot heal or quarantine this item.
| Trendmicro's online scan gets to the file and aborts.
|
| It is found at: c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hlpl.dll
|
| I have attempted to simply delete it. The response is that "Access denied...
| may be 'Read Only""
| I start up in Safe Mode, same results. Then I attempted to turn off the Read
| Only access to the SYSTEM32 folder, seemed to work for a few files, but the
| stopped at that particular .dll file with the "Access denied..." message.
| I have started in Safe Mode With Command Prompt. Still can't delete the
| file!
|
| At this point, I installed Service Pack 2 and the 65 critical updates since
| SP2 was issued. Installed IE7. Ran Windows Live OneCare which found several
| additional viruses, but couldn't resolve this issue.
|
| All of this for a $20 donation that the member will donate to the club!
|
| Any thoughts? How can I delete the .dll?

There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hlpl.dll may be a Conhook Trojan and can be difficult to remove.

I want you to know, OneCare is just plain junk. It has the worst catch rate in the anti
virus industry. Additionally it is contraindicated to have TWO fully installed anti virus
products obn a PC. In this case, AVG and OneCare.

If you are going to use and anti virus application, AVG is better than OneCare and OneCare
should be removed. However, if you *must* use a free AV application then I suggest AntiVir
which is better than AVG.

The person should PAY for anti virus and Kaspersky or NOD32 are suggested.

I don't know what anti malware utilities you have used
Please download, install and update the following software...

* SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

After the software is updated, I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode.

* Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Chuck

With a system that has suffered an infection by so many virus, that extensively, you would be better served to simply reformat the drive and reinstall everything from scratch. You will just never be absoulutely sure that everything has been cleaned.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

David H. Lipman

From: "William" <[email protected]>

| You never know. The person that got the malicious program in the first place
| may have had their IP tracked, so if you reformat, then activate the XP
| firewall and search for updates, and install antivirus, antispyware, and
| firewall programs.

So ? What's the point ?

The IP means nothing.

Here's my IP -- 68.160.108.245
Have phun.

Ted

"Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
Trying to remove viruses and other junk from a Club member's computer. I
have executed just about every virus, malware, adware removal program that I
can find.
The member bought the computer years ago, but never activated the Norton
products. Never updated Windows, never... oh! never mind!

[snip]....

You might try MoveOnBoot before you have to reformat.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

Ted

Ted said:
"Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
Trying to remove viruses and other junk from a Club member's computer. I
have executed just about every virus, malware, adware removal program that I
can find.
The member bought the computer years ago, but never activated the Norton
products. Never updated Windows, never... oh! never mind!

[snip]....

You might try MoveOnBoot before you have to reformat.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

Ted
David, if the IP is tracked, things can happen. You never know. They may run
a port scanner on your IP and when they find an open port, they'll just
reinstall the malicious software.

David H. Lipman

From: "William" <[email protected]>

the IP is tracked, things can happen. You never know. They may run
| a port scanner on your IP and when they find an open port, they'll just
| reinstall the malicious software.

You replied to Ted... Not me.

Since I have a Linksys Router and it adds a level of security, they can port scan me to
their hearts desire :)