Windows XP Video to DVD

Reaction score
I want to convert my 1st birthday film to DVD

I am about to connect up my VCR to my tv card and am going to record the video to my hard drive.
It should end up in mpeg2 format, very good quality but except it will be huge. It takes roughly 2 gigabytes an hour and could end up being 6gb overall.

How can I get this so that it will work on a dvd player?
What software do I need? etc...

thanks

Right time to real time record

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
You may have the option to save it to AVI instead of Mpeg2 mate.

If not save it as Mpeg then encode it to AVI

WinAVI encoder can do this quite easily ;)

http://www.winavi.com/en/download/download.htm

thanks!!!

Hi I have just started it what an era the 80s!!!

Well it is getting recorded into mpeg2 not mpeg.Will that be a problem?

So far just recorded 5 minutes it is around 250mb.
It will be a big file for sure.

Once I convert it to AVI what next to get it to work on a dvdr?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Fiddle about whilst Nero converts and burns .

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
mmmmmmmmmmmm

i have copied dvd to dvd before using nero
but this will be somewhat different i think

i used to drag all the files into video ts folder and it would make it a dvd! :)
but god knows how I am going to get all those files from my one file
will have to research

Reaction score
cheers

just recording 1hour 35 minutes is 4.5 gigabytes! woo hoo that is hugeeeeeeeeeeeee

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
You may have the option to save it to AVI instead of Mpeg2 mate.

If not save it as Mpeg then encode it to AVI

WinAVI encoder can do this quite easily ;)

http://www.winavi.com/en/download/download.htm

6.6 gb approx 3 hours

just installed the program
damn its a trial version
and it will show watermark

software looks good tho
few clicks and few hours should be job done

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You should be able to burn mpeg2 to disc straight away with Nero Vision . If thats too big yuo should be able to use Nero Recode to shrink it down to fit on one dvd . Heres an extract from the Nero manual .

Choosing the right format

Nero Vision 4 supports a number of formats:

DVD-Video
Using MPEG-2 technology to compress video files, a DVD-Video can hold up to 135 minutes of video on a 4.7GB DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW in a quality far superior to VHS video or VCD (see below). You are able to view your disc on most DVD players which makes it wonderful for storing all your home videos in the highest possible quality! You can also play DVD's on your PC if you have the appropriate software and DVD-ROM drive.

With DVD+R9 discs, the capacity of the discs is doubled, so that there is enough space for a DVD-Video.

DVD-Video (VR)
DVD-Video (VR) is a particular type of DVD-video. It can only be created with DVD+RW or DVD-RW discs. This option is only available if the installed recorder supports the burning of DVD VR format. The DVD VR offers three possibilities that are not available with DVD-Video.

• Direct recording of videos onto disc in real-time is possible (Option: direct recording on VR).
  • The data on the disc can later be edited and altered.
  • More videos can be added if space is still available on the disc.
The DVD VR is thus comparable with a video recorder (or a video cassette) but with a much higher quality.

However, there are differences between DVD+VR and DVD-VR media. With DVD-VR there is no menu, instead a playlist can be created. Besides this, the audio track cannot be changed with DVD-VRs, in other words the existing track cannot be edited and no new track can be added.

miniDVD
In principal a miniDVD is the same as a CD-R or CD-RW written in UDF format with a DVD structure. It offers the same technical options and qualities as a DVD, can create chapters or animated menus and support subtitles and multiple audio tracks (including real digital multichannel sound). While compatibility with all DVD players is not guaranteed, miniDVDs can be played by computers without any problem.

Video CD (VCD)
Using MPEG-1 technology to compress video files, a VCD generates a quality roughly similar to VHS video and can hold up to 74/80 minutes on 650MB/700MB CDs respectively of full-motion video along with stereo sound. VCD's can be played on most DVD players and on your PC if you have the appropriate software and a drive that can read CD-R/CD-RW discs.

Super Video CD (SVCD)Very similar to a VCD, this format uses MPEG-2 technology to store video files in a quality roughly similar to S-VHS and can hold around 35/40 minutes on 650MB/700MB CDs respectively of higher quality full-motion video along with stereo sound. SVCD's can be played on a growing number of DVD players and on your PC if you have the appropriate software and a drive that can read CD-R/CD-RW discs.

HD-BURN
In principle, an HD-burn CD is nothing other than a CD-R or CD-RW, where a special procedure is used to double the capacity of a CD and which has a DVD structure written on it in UDF format. It offers the same technical options and qualities as a DVD, can create chapters or animated menus and support subtitles and multiple audio tracks (including real digital multichannel sound).

NOTE: To burn a DVD-Video disc, you need to have a supported DVD recordable drive connected to your system. To burn VCD/SVCD/miniDVD/HD-BURN discs, you need to have a supported CD and/or DVD recordable drive connected to your system. (Please visit htt://www.nero.com for the list of currently supported drives). Even if you do not have a recorder capable of burning DVD and/or VCD/SVCD/miniDVD/HD-BURN discs, you can still burn a disc image on your hard drive and save it for future use. Once you have the appropriate recordable drive connected to your system, you can open disc images using Nero and/or Nero Express 7 at any time, and burn real video discs.

nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I once recorded 2.5 hours of VCR footage at highest poss resolution and the resulting file was 35Gb :eek:

Nero is what you need.

I use Pinnacle Studio 10 lite via a Dazzle USB capture device to capture and edit the video then Nero to make DVD's with it all. Nero has some nice menu setups and works well.

Reaction score
thanks guys

I am now going to look for nero vision!!

I actually have been tipped off by a few people about this.

ATM I am using this software called AGK Auto Gordian Knot. I thought I should convert the mpeg1/2 to avi.

Guess what?

I started it last night at 9pm and its now 10:36am and it's still not complete!
I'm going to give it a few more hours and then close it down.

Reaction score
I have just been on the Nero website
looks like I might be able to use this software for 15 days

FilenameNero-8.1.1.0b_eng_trial.exe (178 MB)
If your download does not start, click here.

More Details
Version8.1.1.0b
Release DateOctober 10, 2007
Installable UntilJanuary 31, 2008
Trial Period15 Days after installation
File Size178 MB (187041352 bytes)
MD5 checksumb57d6bc7bdba8e626d50a962e17e069f

Reaction score
Reaction score
Out of interest.

It is roughly 8 gigabytes in size, I did not bother messing around with the settings.

I got it ready to burn to a dual layer dvd using Nero Vision only problem is that I have not got a dual layer dvdr disk and am waiting for ebuyer to send out some for me so I can burn this project to a dvdr.

Reaction score
Mate???

Use WinAVI

You will not notice the difference your not a professional

And your probs gonna play it on a normal DVD player anyway. Unless you intend to broadcast is to the population use WinAVI and convert it to dvd for normal size disks

8+gig is daft

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Mate???

Use WinAVI

You will not notice the difference your not a professional

And your probs gonna play it on a normal DVD player anyway. Unless you intend to broadcast is to the population use WinAVI and convert it to dvd for normal size disks

8+gig is daft

thanks WORKS A TREAT!

:p

Reaction score
Just make sure you're writing to the HDD first (and then burning), when using Nero..:)

Ask a Question