video studio

Le Loup

Hi !
Is there some freeware equivalent to Pinnacle Studio, Win MovieMaker or
Ulead Video Studio ?
TIA.

Cordialement,
Hervé LOTH

Michael Laplante

Le Loup said:
Hi !
Is there some freeware equivalent to Pinnacle Studio, Win MovieMaker or
Ulead Video Studio ?
TIA.

Having researched this to death and used all three of the aforementioned
products, the short answer is no. This is one area where it's worth it to
spend the cash and get yourself a commercial solution. People here will
suggest various programs and you MAY get them to work, but after you factor
in all the hoops you have to jump through to get them to work properly and
work TOGETHER, you'll wish you had just spent the money instead on a
troublefree commercial product. (FWIW, Pinnacle Studio terrible, Video
Studio good, MovieMaker good AND FREE!)

Why doesn't MovieMaker meet your needs? It's very good (score one for MS)
and has excellent support forums.

M. L.

I think the advice telling you that there is not much good free ware in
this area may be correct. This link will tell you what I have found.

http://www.hollmen.dk/articles/videoedit.htm

From the website above:
"Microsoft MovieMaker 2, is Microsofts free video editor. It is very easy
to use, and easy to learn. However, you cannot export your movies to e.g.
AVI format, but must use the WMV (Windows Media Video) format."

<snip>

Not true. MovieMaker2 can export to the DV-AVI format.

Michael Laplante

M. L. said:
On 24 Jan 2006 22:20:14 -0800, SamF. wrote:
Not true. MovieMaker2 can export to the DV-AVI format.

That's true though file sizes are huge.

If you're content to produce movies that can be played on computer only,
MoveMaker2 is actually a great program. It won't do pan and zoom effects
across still images though. However, MS' free PhotoStory will do that and
then export to avi. These avi's can then be imported into MovieMaker.
MovieMaker also has a very active community producing 'roll your own'
special effects filters for it. See:
http://www.simplydv.co.uk/simplyBB/viewforum.php?f=21
http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ShowForumGroup.aspx?ForumGroupID=1

If you want to burn to DVD, i.e. convert avi to mpeg2, you'll have to go to
a commercial product. There are freeware converters to mpeg1, but the
quality is abysmal -- function of the format, not the software.

Susan Bugher

SamF. said:

(24426 KB)

There's a version here that's a different size:
https://www.it.jcu.edu.au/Subjects/resources/multimedia/programs/moviexone.exe
(29916 KB)

I think that *might* be the last freeware version. It matches the size
of the version that *was* listed on http://www.neverexpires.com/orphans/

Neverexpires seems to have expired. . . :(

I'd be grateful if someone could verify which of these versions is the
later one. (I'd rather not download both on my dial-up connection.)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware