Video playback takes over my display; reboot is my only escape

G

I have serious, recent video playback issues on my copy of Windows XP Professional. If I play a video file using Quicktime or Windows Media Player 9, or a DVD using PowerDVD, I get the same error -- the video goes full screen (even if I explicitly tell the software not to do so), all video controls disappear, and nothing except a reboot can get me out of the broken full screen mode (the video will play until completion, and then I am left with a black screen). Windows is not in a complete hang state, though -- pressing my power switch causes it to automatically shut itself down gracefully (and the video goes back to normal right before shutdown).

Here's another interesting tidbit. Within Quicktime, I can go to "Video Settings," select the option "Safe Mode (GDI Only)" (which disables DirectDraw, DirectDraw Acceleration, and DCI), and Quicktime Player will then behave properly during video playback. I can't seem to achieve this effect with the other players.

I have tried reinstalling DirectX 9.0b (under the belief that DirectDraw is part of DirectX, and could be the culprit), but to no avail. I have not installed any new hardware or drivers recently. This error did not seem to coincide with any new software installation, though it's hard to tell because my usage of video playback has been irregular in the past two weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would really like to avoid having to reinstall Windows to solve this one.

G

Have you installed the most recent patch for DirectX? Perhaps, if that coincides with the problem, that may be the cause? As could be any installation of video codecs. Here's something to try- reboot into safe mode and see if all your players function correctly. This could help isolate the issue somewhat. Keep us updated if anything comes up, and best of luck.

-omega_v7

G

I first noticed the problem at least a day before the new DirectX patch went into my system, so I don't think that's the source of the problem (though I uninstalled it as a test, and the problem remains).

When I boot into safe mode and play the same video files, I no longer have this issue. Does that point in a direction to proceed?

-Davis

G

I first noticed the problem at least a day before the new DirectX patch went into my system, so I don't think that's the source of the problem (though I uninstalled it as a test, and the problem remains).

When I boot into safe mode and play the same video files, I no longer have this issue. Does that point in a direction to proceed?

-Davis

G

-Davis

Ask a Question