video import

i want to import .avi files to moviemaker ,but it says that i dont have the
right codec for it. however i can still play the video in media player and
Gspot says i have the right codec? wat should i do?

PapaJohn \(MVP\)

the codec for playing a file isn't necessarily one that will work when
editing it... see the Import Movie Source Files > Video > AVI and Video
Codecs pages of my website.

a conversion is needed to a file known to work
--
PapaJohn

Movie Maker 2 and Photo Story 3 website - http://www.papajohn.org
MM2 Tips and Tricks: http://www.simplydv.co.uk/simplyBB/viewtopic.php?t=4693
Online Newsletters: http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/PapaJohn/Index.aspx

"help on importing video" <help on importing
news:[email protected]...

Okay i have the same problem but i dont understand your directions:
see the Import Movie Source Files > Video > AVI and Video
Codecs pages of my website.
Where do i go to do that???
Im really confuzed.
Can you say it in simple form please.

I dont understand your instructions, can you tell them again in a simpler
form please? I would be very grateful.
xXx

PapaJohn \(MVP\)

to help you further, you need to tell us the type of file you're trying to
use, and maybe some info about where it came from

there are many types and compression codecs... the right procedure to
convert them varies....

PapaJohn \(MVP\)

can you see the file's name extension?.... is it AVI, MPG, WMV... or
something else

Wojo

Well downloading it from Bearshare god only knows what codec was used by
some hacker to make the video.
Since 90% of the videos downloaded from a filesharing service are illegal
copies it's hard to say how it was made, by what software, using what
codecs.
-Wojo

Thanks Papa John. I downloaded GSpot. It tells you what codec was used to
make the movie. In my case it was the X-vid codec. I went to Google. Typed in
"X-vid codec + download". Now I got it and Movie Maker is importing the
videos. Thanks.

PapaJohn

Once you get that far with it, my rule of thumb is to then convert the Xvid
encoded file to another AVI file using a compressor that consistently works
well in Movie Maker. The Xvid files can result in issues at any time during
a project editing or when rendering a movie.

Check my Import Movie Source Files > Video > Vidoe Codecs page for some
comments about which codecs to choose....

Glad it worked.... thanks for the feedback

PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org