VBA Interview Questions

There is another group in my organization that is inteviewing consultants
for a VBA position and I was asked to technically interview these candidates
because of my VB experience. However, I have no VBA experience whatsoever.

Was curious if anyone out these might offer up a handful of questions (with
answers please LOL) that I might ask these candidates. I have to start
interviewing at 10:30 am central time today (nothign like waiting until the
last minute) - so if you read this after then no need to respond.

Thank you very much, and if you have just one question - please offer it if
you don't mind, I'll just pool questions that I receive. :) (oh, and this
is VBA with Excel)

Thank you!
-Neil

Jim Cone

Maybe...
How/where do they go for help when they have a coding problem?
Answer... newsgroups, Chip Pearson website, their personal library, other...

"We have several Excel versions in use in the department.
Which version would you use to write code?"
Answer...
The oldest version but test in all versions.
(the test in all versions is the important part)
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Neil Kiser"
<[email protected]>
There is another group in my organization that is inteviewing consultants
for a VBA position and I was asked to technically interview these candidates
because of my VB experience. However, I have no VBA experience whatsoever.

Was curious if anyone out these might offer up a handful of questions (with
answers please LOL) that I might ask these candidates. I have to start
interviewing at 10:30 am central time today (nothign like waiting until the
last minute) - so if you read this after then no need to respond.

Thank you very much, and if you have just one question - please offer it if
you don't mind, I'll just pool questions that I receive. :) (oh, and this
is VBA with Excel)

Thank you!
-Neil

Bob Phillips

If you don't know VBA, and the Excel object model, giving you questions is a
waste of time. How ill you differentiate the wafflers from the
knowledgeable?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Harald Staff

Neil

This situation is harmful both to the people seeking work and to your own
employer. Shame on you.

Harald

Jim Cone

Harald,
You are right, I should have kept my month shut.
I had a recent call from an agency seeking an Excel programmer
and the person knew nothing about Excel.
Very frustrating and pointless.
Regards,
Jim Cone

"Harald Staff" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Neil
This situation is harmful both to the people seeking work and to your own
employer. Shame on you.
Harald

I thought that is what agencies did... ;-) If I had a nickel for every time
I met with recruiters who either knew nothing about accounting (I am an
accoutant) and/or knew nothing about Excel (I hold my own in Excel
programming) I would not have to meet with recuiters any more. I'd be rich...

If Niel understands VB he should stick with VB questions... Avoid the VBA.
There is no point asking a question when you can not expect to fully
understand the answer. Ask about variable declarations, and arrays and
generic VB stuff. You will get a flavour of the person's abilities.