Variable Fan Speed Range for Retail P4-3.0C?

B

bucko

Anyone know the Boxed Retail fan speed range for the P4-3.0C SL6WK?

I know Intel somewhere states that their newer P4 fan speeds vary with the temperature of
the air feeding the HS fan.

The fan on my Retail boxed P4-3.0C SL6WK Stepping D1 with the factory heat sink/fan and the
grey factory thermal pad at a default 1.55v runs at a pretty steady speed of 3100 rpm. My
inside case temp is also pretty steady at 30C and the CPU itself varies temp from 39C to 60C
(the max during 100% CPU torture tests).

Hopefully the 60C on the P4-3.0C CPU is not too high ..... normally it runs at around 50-55C
under fairly heavy gaming or CPU loads and about 39C-40C while idling.

Any thoughts or info would be much appreciated.

A

Alien Zord

bucko said:

I know Intel somewhere states that their newer P4 fan speeds vary with the temperature of

The fan on my Retail boxed P4-3.0C SL6WK Stepping D1 with the factory heat sink/fan and the
grey factory thermal pad at a default 1.55v runs at a pretty steady speed of 3100 rpm. My
inside case temp is also pretty steady at 30C and the CPU itself varies temp from 39C to 60C

Hopefully the 60C on the P4-3.0C CPU is not too high ..... normally it runs at around 50-55C

I've cut a hole in the side of my case and ducted external air straight to
the CPU fan. The temp dropped by 10degC as a result to 34C idle, 42C max.
Very effective considering it cost nothing.

K

kony

1) If you're relying on the motherboard for the temp reading those
may not even be reliable numbers.

2) If it ain't broke, don't fix it... you don't mention any
instability

B

bucko

kony said:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:47:00 GMT, "bucko"

1) If you're relying on the motherboard for the temp reading those
may not even be reliable numbers.

2) If it ain't broke, don't fix it... you don't mention any
instability

You are probably right ..... I can run all of the Prime95 v23.7.1 Torture Tests (for 24
hours with no errors) and the SiSoft Sandra Burn-in Tests (again for 24 hours with no
lockups) plus 3D Games without errors.

My mobo's Windbond W83627HF motherboard sensor records no higher than a 64C maximum CPU
temperature with ambient room temperature of 25C (76F). Idle is 40C. This is for a mild
O/C on a P4-3.0C to 3.15 at stock 1.55v using the stock boxed cooler and factory thermal
pad. Memory is running at 1:1 .... FSB 210 (840) .... using a Dual Pack Pair of Mushkin
Black Level II PC3500's (2x512) at 2-3-2-6 on a Springdale Chipset board.

There is a side fan blowing into the case just below the processor and directly onto the
chipset and memory banks so that probably is also helping a lot.

I just wanted to make sure I'm not melting down the new processor. Thanks.

Ask a Question