Valve Unveils Hardware-Based Steam Security

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Valve has announced a new hardware-based security system for Steam called Steam Guard, which will allow users to link their account management options to a single PC.
Making use of Intel's forthcoming Identity Protection Technology, Steam Guard will let users limit control of their Steam account to a single PC, meaning that even if their password is cracked, their accounts will remain secure. They'll also be notified if any unauthorized PC attempts to log into the account or modify settings.

Using a two-factor authentication built into some second-generation Intel Core CPUs, Intel IPT combines a standard user name and password with a six-digit "One-Time Password" that changes every 30 seconds to ensure maximum security. When Intel IPT is enabled, identity thieves will have to gain all three pieces of information in order to gain access to user accounts.

Doug Lombardi, Valve's vice president of marketing, expects to see the adoption of hardware-based security measures become increasingly common as the digital market for games and other media continues to grow. "If as a customer you are buying movies, music, games, or digital goods, you want to know that they are more secure than your physical goods," he said. Valve head honcho Gabe Newell added that account phishing and hijacking are the company's "number-one support issue."

Steam Guard will be available to third-party developers to incorporate into their software via Steamworks. An announcement about which Intel-based PCs will be the first to take advantage of IPT will be made by OEM manufacturers on March 11; to learn more about Intel the technology, check out ipt.intel.com.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108197-Valve-Unveils-Hardware-Based-Steam-Security

Looks to be a promising idea, IF its done right.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have Steam set up on two machines :confused:

I best look closer at this thing...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I wondered about people in that situation.

IMO, the best bet would be to have some kind of USB Key, like, for example here it enables you to logon to the network remotely if working from home.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
dongle

Hope AMD do not implement such a restrictive practice as to tie you in to one software ... oh wait! :rolleyes:

failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.:)

ad
"sponsored by Symantec" :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep, PKI Token where i come from. :)

What ads?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think this is the only part that's important to me:

Steam Guard allows users to link management of their account to a specific PC. Attempts to modify or change account settings by any other PC won't be possible without the user's approval.

And anyhow, I don't have any of the latest Intel chipsets so it looks as if it's optional for me and if I wanted to use this security feature - which I don't - I'd have to use a dongle.

Phew.

Makes a boy wanna switch back to AMD ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That all being said, didn't i read it is actually optional?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Steams just put up their FAQ for Steam Guard...

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8232-WSGZ-8021

One FAQ links mentions that no IPT is used and that steam guard merely has a second layer of security to logins on additional PCs from your main one, and that you can activate additional PCs by entering a code on the logon page which gets sent to your steam verified email address.

Also, Flops check this out... :)

Question

How do I authorize my account on a new computer?

Answer

In order to authorize your account on a new computer, you will need to enter in a verification code that is sent to the email address registered to your Steam account.
If you are unable to access the email address on the account, please see the Changing the Contact Email for a Steam account FAQ.
If you no longer have access to your other computer or your email address, please contact Steam Support.

EDIT: You can try it out now if you opt into the latest Steam Beta.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, so i am now running the beta with Steam Guard running now. It makes no difference to me, more security is always good. :)

1r3fjk.png

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol

Ever wanted to log into a Steam account with every game unlocked? Now you can try (and fail!). Gabe Newell is so confident in Valve’s Steam Guard he has announced his Steam username and password before challenging people to get in. Witness the power of Steam Guard yourself. Try to log onto his account with username: (e-mail address removed), and the password: moolyftw. Good luck.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
This is now officially out of BETA, i'd advise you ensure its set up. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• steam1.png
    steam1.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,616

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So, everyone should be using this now, any issues with anyone?

muckshifter

Reaction score
So, everyone should be using this now, any issues with anyone?
Why?

I don't have the wrong hardware based PC

I don't have steam, why do I need steam?

... nope, no issues. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm not using it - why should I?

I've never had any issues with others using my Steam account and tbh I think it's unlikely to occur.

So, I'm not going to use something I neither want nor feel I need :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, ill rephrase that.... :/

So, everyone that has Steam should be using this now, any issues with anyone?

@Mucks: Why not? If you use Steam, Its an extra layer of free security from accounts stealer's, phishing etc. If you dont have steam then you need not post in this thread. ;)

@Flops: Well you dont have to use it, its on by default by the way. But i dont see why you wouldn't tbh....Surely an extra level of security is good whatever, whether you had issues or not? I've not had a single problem with unauthorized access to my account before either. Doesn't mean I don't want to take steps from ensuring it stays that way.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On by deafult eh?

I just had a look and it says 'Protected by Steamguard' and also 'Beta available (currently not participating'.

So is it on or not? I have not a clue as the above seem to be contradictory.

I think Microsoft have made me this way - allergic to having software programs forced upon me - Silverlight anybody?

I like to choose, I really rather hate big brother apps that get on board without asking.

Probably daft, but that's the way I am.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Mucks: Why not? If you use Steam, Its an extra layer of free security from accounts stealer's, phishing etc. If you dont have steam then you need not post in this thread
No, I don't have steam, and I continue to post in any thread I like.

:wave:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
On by deafult eh?

I just had a look and it says 'Protected by Steamguard' and also 'Beta available (currently not participating'.

So is it on or not? I have not a clue as the above seem to be contradictory.

I think Microsoft have made me this way - allergic to having software programs forced upon me - Silverlight anybody?

I like to choose, I really rather hate big brother apps that get on board without asking.

Probably daft, but that's the way I am.
Yep that means its actually on and active, its no longer in beta. See my post above with the screenshot attached. :)

There is another beta available now, but its something else.

Ask a Question