V750 multi-samples and -scans: useless?

Reaction score
I've been trying to optimize my Epson Perfection V750 using multi-sampling and multi-scans with both Silverfast AI that came in the bundle and with VueScan version 8.4.43, but I don't see any significant differences except for VS's multi-exposure setting. I do see changes in scan times for some settings, but examining the images in Photoshop at "Actual Pixels" does not show any smoothing of grain/noise in either highlights or shadows and no change in sharpness.

The system is an AMD Athlon 3200+, WinXP; AV is off. Scans were done at several resolutions from 1600 to 6400 dpi; sample rates of 1, 8 & 16 (in VS); multi-scans of 1 & 2 (in AI); with no sharpening, IR or grain reduction in any.

Looking at uniform dark and light areas of images at actual pixels show a sameness of graininess and selecting a uniform area in Photoshop and checking the Histogram shows little variation among the comparable image sizes and software. Again, the exception is VS's multi-exposure, which has very strongly reduced grain and no artifacts.

Ask a Question