Utility to SECURELY wipe freespace

Bazza

Recommendations please for a utility to SECURELY wipe or erase
the freespace on my HD's preferably to US DOD standard.

Would also very much prefer a utility that does NOT need installation.

Thanks very muchly
Barry...

Ron May

Message-ID said:
Recommendations please for a utility to SECURELY wipe or erase
the freespace on my HD's preferably to US DOD standard.

Would also very much prefer a utility that does NOT need installation.

Thanks very muchly
Barry...

Eraser is about as good as it gets in terms of wiping free space,
cluster tips, etc. to DOD or Gutmann standard (up to 35 passes.)

It DOES require installation.

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

(Casual users should be aware that secure data wiping is a complex
issue. Portions of sensitive data may still exist in places such as
the pagefile, for example. For additional references, check advanced
topics in Eraser's help file or Google the topic for discussion.)

El Gee

Bazza said:
Recommendations please for a utility to SECURELY wipe or erase
the freespace on my HD's preferably to US DOD standard.

Would also very much prefer a utility that does NOT need installation.

Thanks very muchly
Barry...

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?c=10&sc=112

El Gee // www.mistergeek.com <><
Know Christ, Know Peace - No Christ, No Peace
Remove .yourhat to reply

Ron May

Message-ID said:
Thanks very muchly Ron & El. I installed Eraser on 1 PC & used
the instructions on PortableFreeware to copy the files onto a USB
drive. Then erased the freespace on another PC.

Well that was a pretty elegant solution! Thanks for letting us know.