using tabs as a switchboard

I want to use tabs in place of a menu switchboard because that is what the
user is used to seeing.
Some of the tabs should be based on different tables. I'm not clear on how
to do this? If I use a tab control isn't that based on only one table?
I just want the user to be able to navigate using the tabs. Perhaps this
should be a button that looks like a tab or can I use the tab control?
I'm not clear on whether the tabs need to be based on a query but I suppose
that the query is needed if the form is based on more than one table?
The menu will be across the top of each data input form and will be used to
navigate.
thanks,

Larry Linson

The customer may not always be right, but they are the ones paying the bill.
Still, I caution that when Tab Controls first came out, I got permission and
used a Tab Control for navigation and control to try that approach. Turned
out the client's users didn't like it any better, and perhaps not as well
as, the more traditional approaches, but it was somewhat more time and
effort to implement. So, if you don't charge "by the hour", be sure to take
"somewhat more time and effort" into account; and, if you do charge by the
hour, be sure to increase your estimate. And, be prepared to receive some
negative feedback at the end from users who don't think it helped them.

Place a Subform Control on the tab pages and imbed Forms based on the
information desired to use different RecordSources. The Queries addressing
the different data sources are RecordSources of the Forms imbedded in the
Subform Controls.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP

Albert D. Kallal

"FilemakerPro_Developer" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

I want to use tabs in place of a menu switchboard because that is what the
user is used to seeing.

Sure, tabs can be used. Often, we simply place forms (actually sub forms)
into

each tab.

Some of the tabs should be based on different tables.

No, I think you mean each form you place on each tab is going to be based on
a different

table, but certainly not a tab.

I'm not clear on how
to do this? If I use a tab control isn't that based on only one table?

A tab control is not based on any table.

I just want the user to be able to navigate using the tabs. Perhaps
this
should be a button that looks like a tab or can I use the tab control?

You can use a mixture of both. Most of us when we started out using
ms-access used the switchboard (maybe for the first day or so!!!). Most
developers will QUICKLY out grow the switchboard. (I not saying it is for
amateurs, ..but, most quickly move beyond the built in switch board..and is
really only something most of us use in a pinch).

So, most of us simply just place a few buttons on a nice looking form that
launches the appropriate form. We then set this form as the startup form.

Here is some screen shots of some appcation forms...they might give you some
ideas:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/Articles/UseAbility/UserFriendly.htm

The real lesson in the above is not to re-invent the wheel, but simply build
applications that look like existing ones you used for years and years.

Ask yourself what do all the other applications you purchased, and used over
the last 20+ years look like? None of them (that I am aware of) start out
with a page full of tabs. You likely best to provide a nice main form, and
each task, or tasks to accomplish can simply be some buttons that launch the
appropriate form. Further, this approach tends to perform better. If you
load up one huge mega form with a large number of tabs (and forms behind
those tabs), then you are really going to strain the computer, as then you
are loading a LOT of forms at once.

Of couse, once a form is loaded, you will often see tabs. Here is a screen
shot with a form that has some tabs:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/HideColumn/index.htm

Note in the above two forms, how tabs are used to arrange the screens, and
NOT present the user with too many options.

Here is some more screen shots of how I arranged some tasks. And, there is
*less* use of tabs.

http://www.kallal.ca/ridestutorialp/editlists.htm

The one screen in the above has a tab control because I ran out of room
(and, further I wanted to group like controls).

So, I think it best to have one "main" launch pad (switch board) type form,
and then the users can navigate deeper into the application (just like every
other appcation you purchased and used for the last 20 years). So, simply
emulate what software packages you have now on your computer....

I'm not clear on whether the tabs need to be based on a query

tab controls has absolute nothing to do with tables, or query. There seems
to be a SERIOUS confusing here on your part?? I not sure if you are stuck on
terminology, or just confused about building user interface stuff? The user
interface part, or how you navigate from one form to the next has little, if
any relationship to tables.

The menu will be across the top of each data input form and will be used
navigate.

In the above case, you likely will place a sub-form on each tab.

Take a look at the above two links...there should be plenty of user
interface ideas. However, at the end of the day, ms-access is really a blank
canvas, and how you put your interface together is really only limited by
your imagination.

Here is also another set of screen shots that give some ideas for displaying
data:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/Articles/Grid.htm

You will note that in "many" of the above links, you notice that I complete
hidden the ms-access interface, and provided users with custom menu bars --
this results in a very windows like interface, and reduces the learning
curve for users.

So, perhaps consider using a custom menu bar, as that is what the rest of
office uses (excel, or word etc have child windows without any menu
bars..and then one menu bar across the top).

thanks for the example.
--
Janis