using minlogon

A

Albert Gomez

I have been requested to create a Windows embedded XP image using minlogon
instead of WinLogon.

I have taken a look at the Introduction to Minlogon (
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms838653.aspx ), but it is of
little help in actually starting an image.

My first issue is creating a custom user shell. Exactly what are the
requirements of a user shell? What would be the easiest way to create a
minimal footprint custom user shell?

Albert

K

KM

Albert,

Reading documentation you probably have already realized that shell and logon are independent components. In other words, having
particular Logon component included - Winlogon or Minlogon - doesn't limit you in the API sets that are available to your own custom
shell app.

In fact, your shell application can be any Win32 application. Only difference ("limit") for such app in Minlogon environment would
be API functions related to user authentication settings. You can't assume you are logged into a regular (limited) user account
under Minlogon which always logs in to the Local System user account only.

For instance, CMD works perfectly as a shell app for Minlogon. Explorer, however, requires Winlogon to work as shell. (Explorer app
itself, however, can be run under Minlogon but you won't see the desktop and etc.)

With regards to the custom shell app footprint - it completely depends on:
- how you build it (compiler, optimization options, framework),
- what functions it will provide (requirements, specifications, implementation),
- what UI it will have (command line or GUI)
- what dependencies it will have (framework, libraries linked statically and dynamically and their own dependencies)

A

Albert Gomez

Ok...I think I will go with CMD as the user shell for now and move on from
there...
thanks,
Albert

Ask a Question