Using Complete PC Backup to move HDDs ?

Brian W

I'm replacing my system drive with a new model this week. If I use Complete
PC Backup to image the System drive, then re-install Vista on the new drive,
can I then use the Backup image to get the system back to it's current
configuration?

Brian W

The Max said:
If you make an image of the drive, why would you need to reinstall
Vista on the new drive before restoring from that image?

Skip the reinstall step.

Vista's Complete PC Restore only works on Vista installations, it won't work
on a raw disk. I'm just hoping I can use the backup created on one Vista
install on a different (clean) install in order to save about 4-5 hours work
(installing Vista takes 15 minutes, restoring a backup takes about 10 so 25
minutes in total).

John Barnett MVP

While I do use complete PC Backup for backing up my system it isn't
something I would totally rely upon. I always keep an image created with
Acronis True Image 2009. This application is far more flexible. In fact many
hard drive manufacturer's have 'cloning' discs supplied with their hard
drives and these run Acronis. I believe these cloning disc only come with
retail drives however, not OEM.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

Brian W

John Barnett MVP said:
While I do use complete PC Backup for backing up my system it isn't
something I would totally rely upon. I always keep an image created with
Acronis True Image 2009. This application is far more flexible. In fact
many hard drive manufacturer's have 'cloning' discs supplied with their
hard drives and these run Acronis. I believe these cloning disc only come
with retail drives however, not OEM.

I've yet to have any trouble with the Windows image backup/restore.

John Barnett MVP

Brian, I haven't had any problems either, so far, but I have seen posts on
the newsgroups from people who have. I do admit that I like to play safe and
have at least three backup images using different backup applications.

According to the info on Complete PC Backup you can move the 'image' to a
replacement PC.
(http://www.microsoft.com/singapore/...ista/features/details/completepcbackup.mspx)A 'raw' drive is usually described as one that has not yet been formatted.Can you not use the Vista DVD to partition and format the new drive prior toinstalling the backup image? It seems pointless going through the motions ofinstalling Vista first only to overwrite it again with the image of your olddrive. I know what you are concerned about when it comes to installing allyour other applications but I would have thought that partitioning andformatting would be the easier way to go.----John Barnett MVPWindows XP Associate ExpertWindows Desktop ExperienceWeb: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.orgWeb: http://vistasupport.mvps.orgWeb: http://www.silversurfer-guide.comThe information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of anykind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable forany direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of theuse of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in thismail/post.."Brian W" <[email protected]> wrote in message"John Barnett MVP" <[email protected]> wrote in messageWhile I do use complete PC Backup for backing up my system it isn'tsomething I would totally rely upon. I always keep an image created withAcronis True Image 2009. This application is far more flexible. In fact manyhard drive manufacturer's have 'cloning' discs supplied with their harddrives and these run Acronis. I believe these cloning disc only come withretail drives however, not OEM.>> I've yet to have any trouble with the Windows image backup/restore.>>>>>>> -->>>> -->> John Barnett MVP>> Windows XP Associate Expert>> Windows Desktop Experience>>>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org>> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com>>>> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any>> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,>> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liablefor>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out ofthe>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this>> mail/post..>>>>>> "Brian W" <[email protected]> wrote in messageI'm replacing my system drive with a new model this week. If I useComplete PC Backup to image the System drive, then re-install Vista on thenew drive, can I then use the Backup image to get the system back to it'scurrent configuration?>>>>>>>>>>