Using Boinc And Other Tweaks Thread

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
ive just moved over to boinc will see how it goes acording to wcg it has generated over points in about a day if so that is great!:D i think also having a dual core system helps and the wcg agent doesnt use both cores so i will see how it goes and i hope it is a benefit for the team.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
:p My system is producing 1,700 points a day on its own!!!

BOINC seems good :)
Thats great Chris :thumb: - what CPU is it?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Excellent performance - is that consistant over a few days, or the first results with it and boinc?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Looking good Chris:thumb:

The reason why I'm enquiring is that after a week or so of folks running boinc, I will ask if they will post their basic PC Specs, together with the average daily points/units processed during the 7 day period immediately before and after the installation of boinc (excluding the day of conversion, and along with any added 'tweaks'), so we can start to make an assessment as to its relative merits for different CPUs.

I hope that made sense!:p

Reaction score
Ok Guys/Gals installed BOINC;) Just one question received this Email>> Thank you itisi for downloading the World Community Grid Linux agent.
Now am I correct in saying it is for Linux:confused: as I us XP????? Am I missing something here:blush: it is running so?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Danger Warning ... Will Robinson

itsme said:
Ok Guys/Gals installed BOINC;) Just one question received this Email>> Thank you itisi for downloading the World Community Grid Linux agent.
Now am I correct in saying it is for Linux:confused: as I us XP????? Am I missing something here:blush: it is running so?
LoL ... yup, a brain. :D

Boinc is for Linux ... there is one that works in Windows ... I take it you did pick the Windows version, you must have, or it would not have installed. ;)

I can only assume they did not re-write the emails

You get an email everytime.

Reaction score
muckshifter]LoL ... yup, a brain. :D

Taken the pills now mucks:p Ha-mmm Thats better:D

Boinc is for Linux ... there is one that works in Windows ... I take it you did pick the Windows version, you must have, or it would not have installed. ;)

I can only assume they did not re-write the emails

Yep:p
It is running fine:thumb: so I guess they have messed the info on the emails:rolleyes:

muckshifter

Reaction score
itsme said:
Taken the pills now mucks:p Ha-mmm Thats better:D
Yep:p
It is running fine:thumb: so I guess they have messed the info on the emails:rolleyes:
Must admit though ... you is the first to "read" what they sent you ... :thumb:

:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Finally got BOINC installed on my room server, will see how it performs :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Boinc Assessment Update

Ok folks, I think we have all had time to assess whether boinc and the various tweaks have improved output or not on our various machines, so now I would like to ask that everyone share their experiences so far, so that others may benefit in the future.

Can all those who have gone over to boinc, please post the following:

1. Machine Specs (CPU (inc. any overclocked speed) & RAM)
2. Date started using Boinc
3. Any Tweak/Enhancement used & which one
4. Average daily points/results returned PRIOR to installing boinc
5. Average daily points/results returned AFTER installing boinc
6. Average Machine runtime (ie 24/7 or otherwise)

NB. If you have converted more than one machine, please list them all.

I will start it off then:

1. AMD64 X2 3800+ / 1 GB RAM
2. 24/01/06
3. Guntec.de as in my first post
4. 1789/9
5. 3656/9
6. 24/7

I think the difference speaks for itself!

As an aside, I noted the boinc benchmarking prior to installing the enhancement and after, and here are the results:

Before:
1917 double precision MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
3576 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU

After:
2796 double precision MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
8476 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU

No I dont have any idea what the hell it means :rolleyes: - but assuming bigger is better, then it is a big improvement :thumb:

Good luck folks, and happy posting - Ady :)

Last edited:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
After yesterday's exploits I will give it a day or two to see how it's settling down, but I will post details once it's all stabilized.:)

I've also moved one of the other machines over from the native WCG Client so we will see what it does on an old single CPU machine. It's nothing exciting, just an old Win2K Server, but it might add in a few extra points with the BOINC Client in place. :thumb:

Well done on the thread Ady, it will be interesting to see how everyone else is getting on.

CI

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Server PC:

1) Celeron 2.66 / 512MB
2) 21/01/06
3) No tweaks yet
4) Before 1067/3.7
5) After 591 / 3.7

Main PC (moving over to BOINC this weekend)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well I have been scratching my head trying to "see" if there is any real difference ... then I remembered we all got to play with FAAH (aids for Boinc) and well, that, has just thrown any calculations right out the window.

For me, runing Linux, I see an improvement in points ONLY because I can now process some FAAH WUs and they give some good point for those WU & the fact I finally got the 'old girl' runnig ... so you can count me out of any equations.

Now, if I look at the MJW pc I'm just totally confused as to whether Bionc made any real improvement to any points returned or not ... basicly because, again, it is now processing FAAH WU the same as everyone else.

I have been keeping a spreadsheet of everyones point returns for some 3 weeks now ... and all I can say is since we ALL stared to get FAAH WUs those of us that have pretty good PC have showen an improvement.

The only other advantage I can see is if you have an AMD dual-core CPU ... you in effect now have 2 PCs if using Boinc.

Sorry ... this post is not intended to throw Ady's great work into disrepute, in fact I greatly appreciate all his work done on this, nay, I'm just not convinced that using Boinc over UD will make a scap of difference to your points. However, don't let me put you off trying and if you is happy, so am I.

:D

Ask a Question