Using a Broadcast message on an intranet

Martin Hart

Hi:

I need a way to make sure that only one instance of a program is running
on a particular intranet. I thought that some kind of Broadcast message
might do the trick, or maybe a UDP query. I'm using a WinForms
application on .NET 2.0

Can anyone help me with this?

TIA,
Martin.

Vadym Stetsiak

Hello, Martin!

UDP scenario has some drawbacks. UDP broadcasts may not be allowed between
intranets.
OTOH if there must be one app per intranet then broadcasts can do the job.

Also, instead of UDP broadcast you should use multicast.

--
With best regards, Vadym Stetsiak.
Blog: http://vadmyst.blogspot.com

You wrote on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:56:05 +0200:

MH> Hi:

MH> I need a way to make sure that only one instance of a program is
MH> running on a particular intranet. I thought that some kind of
MH> Broadcast message might do the trick, or maybe a UDP query. I'm
MH> using a WinForms application on .NET 2.0

MH> Can anyone help me with this?

MH> TIA,
MH> Martin.

Martin Hart

Vadym:

Do you have an example of using multicast I can see?

TIA,
Martin.

Vadym Stetsiak escribió:

Vadym Stetsiak

Hello, Martin!

Have a look at
http://www.codeproject.com/cs/internet/multicast.asp

--

You wrote on Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:55:19 +0200:

MH> Vadym:

MH> Do you have an example of using multicast I can see?

MH> TIA,
MH> Martin.

MH> Vadym Stetsiak escribió:
MH>>> Hi:

MH>>> I need a way to make sure that only one instance of a program is
MH>>> running on a particular intranet. I thought that some kind of
MH>>> Broadcast message might do the trick, or maybe a UDP query. I'm
MH>>> using a WinForms application on .NET 2.0

MH>>> Can anyone help me with this?

MH>>> TIA,
MH>>> Martin.

Martin Hart