User Review Competition

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's time for a new competition, only open to members of the forum that have 25 posts or more at the time of this post - as a reward to our regulars :D

It's very simple to enter, all you need to do is post a computing related user review, guide or article in the User Review forum. Examples of entries could be a review of some hardware or a game you own, an overclocking guide, an article on choosing a PC - anything that would be of use to other readers :thumb: Pictures and photos always help too.

We've had some great threads posted there in the past, such as 1nt's Bigfoot Killer NIC, Kenny's Crucial ballistix Tracer Red PC6400 4-4-4-12 4GB review and plenty of others :)

The prize is £30 worth of amazon vouchers, which should get a new game (Assassins Creed is out soon :D) or if you aren't a gamer there are plenty of books, DVDs and other items to choose from. If the winner isn't from the UK, I'll sort out some alternative prize (such as Amazon US vouchers etc...).

Rules:
  • The competition starts from the time of this post and is open throughout March 2008 (that's 11 days to enter).
  • Everyone that submits an article to the User Review forum during this time will be entered into a draw to pick the winner. (Multiple reviews still count as one entry)
  • The competition is open to any forum member with 25 posts as of noon 20/03/08. Moderators are eligible to enter, but not the site Admin (that's me!).
  • Articles that don't contain any reading value (such as a couple of lines, created just to enter) will not count.
  • Entries must be unique and of your own work.
  • If there are lots of entries, there may be bonus prizes awarded at the admin's discretion ;)
Good luck to everyone - go on, give it a go :D

Any questions? Ask away in this thread...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
If it's not a cheeky question... are the reviews to be strictly computer-related hardware/software etc., please? :rolleyes: Just wondered whether there could be anything more "general" for the more technically challenged :p (Well, can't blame a person for trying... :lol: )

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
If it's not a cheeky question... are the reviews to be strictly computer-related hardware/software etc., please? :rolleyes: Just wondered whether there could be anything more "general" for the more technically challenged :p (Well, can't blame a person for trying...
laughingsmiley.gif
)
Not cheeky at all ;) It has to be something computing/PC related - but it doesn't have to be really technical. For example, if you have a printer then it wouldn't need lots of tech info to do a review on that, just a couple of photos and comments on the ease of installation, features, quality etc... Or perhaps a short guide on photo editing software for new users - mentioning good, free software for editing like picasa, photo storage site links, and good places for cheap prints.

If you've got any thoughts then do let me know, as there are loads of things that an article could be on :thumb: I want to try and make it as inclusive as possible so that any member has a chance :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks Ian :D Some goodly ideas there :thumb:

Ian Cunningham said:
BTW, did an e-mail come though to any of you about this competition? I send one, but I didn't get one myself so I don't know if it went through.

No, only the usual notification e-mail that came in regarding your reply to the subscribed thread :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey not bad 25 pounds on amazon

shame we can,t review movies.

How many people have enter ian some far?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
michael555 said:
Hey not bad 25 pounds on amazon

shame we can,t review movies.

How many people have enter ian some far?
Just Mucks so far, although it's only been online a few hours :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Can I use a review I did several months ago, or does it have to be something new?

I could add a few pics to my original and claim it's a new piece. :p ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has to be new I'm afraid nivrip ;) Otherwise it wouldn't be much fun :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I was just wondering... how do you insert a picture into the text area of a post (as Mucks has done with his review) please? I can insert them as thumbnails of course, but not the pics-within-message-body ... or perhaps that is a mod-only option? If so, please just disregard :wave:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
I was just wondering... how do you insert a picture into the text area of a post (as Mucks has done with his review) please? I can insert them as thumbnails of course, but not the pics-within-message-body ... or perhaps that is a mod-only option? If so, please just disregard
happywave.gif
I cheated ... I used the Gallery to store the pics, then just use copy-n-paste.

I wonder if I'll get the sack for using too much bandwidth. :D

Come on everyone, it aint as hard as you think, £30 for writing a few lines of text. :thumb:

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
I was just wondering... how do you insert a picture into the text area of a post (as Mucks has done with his review) please? I can insert them as thumbnails of course, but not the pics-within-message-body ... or perhaps that is a mod-only option? If so, please just disregard
happywave.gif

The easiest way to add an image into the post is to still attach it as normal (to create the thumbnail), but then to copy the image location and use that for the insert image location.

For example, click "manage attachments" then upload a file. Once it's uploaded the file will appear under "current attachments" in the popup window. Right click on it and select copy shortcut. Then in the message window, click the picture icon and paste in the url :thumb: :

attachment.php

Attachments

• vista.jpg
    vista.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 462

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Gosh thank you Mucks and Ian... I still haven't had my second coffee of the morning, but that seems to have sunk-in :thumb: :D I shall give it a try afterwards, because I had a go at writing something last night, so will see what it looks like in the cold light of day :lol:

Thank you both :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Cunningham
BTW, did an e-mail come though to any of you about this competition? I send one, but I didn't get one myself so I don't know if it went through.

I got the e-mail .

happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well I've had a go... and followed Ian's instructions to the letter, but there are links where pics should be :lol: so please excuse, I must have got entangled in my 'L' plates somewhere :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice work :D That's 4 entries so far!

Looks like you're mastered the image attachments system now too, Taffycat :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes, thanks Ian... once I'd disentangled my 'L' plates from my ankles, it was fine :lol:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
well, i dont have anything new to review :p

dont know, perhaps ill fancy writing something - someday :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
6 days left of the competition, should be plenty of time to get some more enties in :D

Ask a Question