User Registration

G

I need a secure page within my site so registered users can have access to proprietary documents and info. I have read the FP 2002 "Help" on self-registration and the "user registration" page from the page templates and do not understand "subwebs" or if there is another way to do this. I may have bitten off more then I should with this being my first site and please be honest if I should not try to set this up having no experience.
Also, I can create a user list and passwords instead of allowing self registration if that is an better way to do this. In fact, I may prefer that if it is possible.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Lobo

S

Steve Easton

First we need to know if your host supports subwebs, and also what server
type and server OS they are using.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed..................
...............................with a computer
Lobo1967 said:
I need a secure page within my site so registered users can have access to
proprietary documents and info. I have read the FP 2002 "Help" on
self-registration and the "user registration" page from the page templates
and do not understand "subwebs" or if there is another way to do this. I may
have bitten off more then I should with this being my first site and please
be honest if I should not try to set this up having no experience.
Also, I can create a user list and passwords instead of allowing self
registration if that is an better way to do this. In fact, I may prefer that
if it is possible.

G

Opps, I guess that would help. My domain is hosted on a Linux server running Apache. They do support subwebs and PHP, MySql, and CGI scripts. After a bit more thought, I will not have a lot of turn-over in my user list so I would prefer to generate/maintain the user/password list myself rather then the self registration. However, I will go with the self reg. if that is what you all think would be better, more secure, etc. Sorry for the newbie stuff and please tell me if I am trying to accomplish something that is likely going to be a nightmare for me to figure out
Thanks
Dary
P.S. I created a subweb called "secure" on my test site: www.dalessite.com (Nothing but a "Under Construction" page for now.

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Self registration provide no controls on who can register
- any user can register and get access
Since you have limited users, Create your subweb and manually create unique permissions and user IDs/ passwords for the subweb or
search for a CGI / PHP solution

--

| Opps, I guess that would help. My domain is hosted on a Linux server running Apache. They do support subwebs and PHP, MySql, and
CGI scripts. After a bit more thought, I will not have a lot of turn-over in my user list so I would prefer to generate/maintain
the user/password list myself rather then the self registration. However, I will go with the self reg. if that is what you all
think would be better, more secure, etc. Sorry for the newbie stuff and please tell me if I am trying to accomplish something that
is likely going to be a nightmare for me to figure out.
| Thanks,
| Daryl
| P.S. I created a subweb called "secure" on my test site: www.dalessite.com (Nothing but a "Under Construction" page for now.

G

What format can I use to create/maintain a username/password list, ie, text file or what? Also, the unique permissions mentioned for my subweb are they standard windows permissions that I apply to the subweb folders? Lastly, what points the registration form to the userlist
Thanks
Dary

Ask a Question