User infomation on Shared computers

Reaction score
Hi there,
I work in a school and in order to keep the computers as "user friendly" as possible when I set up a new machine I configure it how I want it then copy the NTUSER.dat file into default users and viola, configured computer for the students by passing all of Microsoft's "helpfull" can I expalin this feature to you rubbish.

My ultimate goal is to have the footer infomation of every Office document include the person's username. Changing the footer is no problem, shared templates etc. etc. The problem is actually getting Word to show the correct information.

Idea 1: Use domain user information. Problem can't get Word to display that info.

Idea 2: Use Word's "username" field. The problem here is that Word sets this the first time it's run based on the logged in user. So when I copy my setting accross it puts in my (administrator) username. Word saves this information in the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\common\userinfo
Now I can delete this key and then copy my settings however when Word is run it brings up a dialogue box with a prompt. This may sound like the solution however I do not want to give pupil's ideas like putting other people's usernames in or offensive words so I do not want this to appear.

Any ideas? I either need to be able to have Word (or any other Office application) pick up the Domain User info or set the Office user info to the current user at login or accept Word's own dialogue box without prompt.

Ask a Question