User inadvertently set the permissions for the entire HKCR hive to deny for the Everyone and Adminis

David H. Lipman

I was wondering if somone can shed some light on this tough predicament that one
of my clients ran into. While troubleshooting a virus issue, the user
inadvertently set the permissions for the entire HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT reg hive to
deny for the Everyone and Administrator group.

If you have a test machine you can try this and it will render the machine
useless because you won’t be able to execute anything. I was wondering if there
is had a tool to fix this or any workarounds possible. Tests though Active
Directory GPO’s have proven possible but this is not an option for the client who
is NOT on a Domain.

Is it possible that something can/may be done in the "Safe Mode with Command
Prompt" mode ?

Thanx in advance !

Wat ben jij een onnatuurlijke bengaalse mongolenku

the all-embracing said:
I was wondering if somone can shed some light on this tough
predicament that one of my clients ran into. While troubleshooting a
virus issue, the user inadvertently set the permissions for the
entire HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT reg hive to deny for the Everyone and
Administrator group.

If you have a test machine you can try this and it will render the
machine useless because you won't be able to execute anything. I was
wondering if there is had a tool to fix this or any workarounds
possible. Tests though Active Directory GPO's have proven possible
but this is not an option for the client who is NOT on a Domain.

Is it possible that something can/may be done in the "Safe Mode with
Command Prompt" mode ?

Thanx in advance !

Let's get this straight, it's your client with the problem, not that you
won't get paid because you're a ****ing useless dimwit, no?

NetKKKoping still are we, you ****ing Nazi sphinctard?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Dave,

I created a similar situation in my test system. And none of the
applications ran. Safe Mode Command Prompt did not load either.

However, with BartPE I could revert the permissions for the hive to
defaults. Allowed "Full Control" to Administrators and "Everyone" group, and
is fine. I was thinking about using SubInACL, but that was not needed.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

I was wondering if somone can shed some light on this tough predicament that
one
of my clients ran into. While troubleshooting a virus issue, the user
inadvertently set the permissions for the entire HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT reg hive
deny for the Everyone and Administrator group.

If you have a test machine you can try this and it will render the machine
useless because you won't be able to execute anything. I was wondering if
there
is had a tool to fix this or any workarounds possible. Tests though Active
Directory GPO's have proven possible but this is not an option for the
client who
is NOT on a Domain.

Is it possible that something can/may be done in the "Safe Mode with Command
Prompt" mode ?

Thanx in advance !

Fitz

Sighhhhh. He's BACK. Like chewing gum on a shoe.

--
***
NEVER download files from anywhere unless it is from the website of the

"Wat ben jij een onnatuurlijke bengaalse mongolenkut"
<wat.ben.jij.een.onnatuurlijke.bengaalse.mongolenkut@you.tapered-twopenny-halfpenny-duck.net>

David H. Lipman

From: "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <[email protected]>

| Dave,
|
| I created a similar situation in my test system. And none of the
| applications ran. Safe Mode Command Prompt did not load either.
|
| However, with BartPE I could revert the permissions for the hive to
| defaults. Allowed "Full Control" to Administrators and "Everyone" group, and
| is fine. I was thinking about using SubInACL, but that was not needed.

| http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm
|
| --
| Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP Shell/User
|
| Windows XP Troubleshooting
| http://www.winhelponline.com

Thank you Ramesh !

Ramesh, MS-MVP

You're welcome anytime! Dave.

From: "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <[email protected]>

| Dave,
|
| I created a similar situation in my test system. And none of the
| applications ran. Safe Mode Command Prompt did not load either.
|
| However, with BartPE I could revert the permissions for the hive to
| defaults. Allowed "Full Control" to Administrators and "Everyone" group,
and
| is fine. I was thinking about using SubInACL, but that was not needed.

| http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm
|
| --
| Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP Shell/User
|
| Windows XP Troubleshooting
| http://www.winhelponline.com

Thank you Ramesh !

relic

Fitz said:
Sighhhhh. He's BACK. Like chewing gum on a shoe.

"Wat ben jij een onnatuurlijke bengaalse mongolenkut"
<wat.ben.jij.een.onnatuurlijke.bengaalse.mongolenkut@you.tapered-twopenny-halfpenny-duck.net>
wrote in message

If you only know how to top-post, trim all the non-microsoft.public groups.