User got married and changed name. What needs to be changed in AD

We are a Win2k/Win2k3 operation, with Exchange 2000 and Exchange IM running.
What all should I expect to need to change, and is there a best practices
kind of procedure for these instances?

Thanks.

Taggert

Deji Akomolafe

You don't need to change anything, unless your corporate policy says you
should.

Now, if you policy says you must, the only change is like to be the last
name. In that case, you'd right-click on the name in ADUC and click reanme.
Follow the wizard and you should be fine. Unfortunately, if the
samaccountname has a portion of the old last name in it, then you are stuck
with that samaccountname. A work-around would be to just copy the current
account and name the new one appropriately.

--

Sincerely,
Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I

Paul Bergson

The display name, the last name, the user id if you are using the last name
as part of the id. The e-mail address if you are using the last name as
part of the this address. Also is the computer name part of the users last
name? The home folder for the user, is that part of the share/folder name?

I'm not sure if the profile will be rebuilt with the name change.

Jason Tan

Hi Taggert,

Thanks for posting!

From your post, I understand that you want to rename a user account. Based
on my experience, you may safely rename the user account in AD. Because it
retains its security identifier (SID), a renamed user account retains all
its other properties, such as its description, password, group memberships,
user environment profile, account information, and any assigned permissions
and rights.

More information for your reference:
How to Rename User Accounts in Windows 2000 Active Directory
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260390

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?VGFnZ2VydA==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: User got married and changed name. What needs to be changed in
AD
| Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:29:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| We are a Win2k/Win2k3 operation, with Exchange 2000 and Exchange IM
running.
| What all should I expect to need to change, and is there a best practices
| kind of procedure for these instances?
|
| Thanks.
|
| Taggert

Great, thanks for the info. What about her Exchange 2000 mailbox? Can I
just rename, or do I need to copy to a different user...?

Thanks.

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thanks for your udpate!

I am glad to hear the information helps. You may simply rename the smtp
address of the user account in the user's properties in AD.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?VGFnZ2VydA==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: User got married and changed name. What needs to be changed
| Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:05:36 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Great, thanks for the info. What about her Exchange 2000 mailbox? Can I
| just rename, or do I need to copy to a different user...?
|
| Thanks.
|
| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
|
| > Hi Taggert,
| >
| > Thanks for posting!
| >
| > From your post, I understand that you want to rename a user account.
Based
| > on my experience, you may safely rename the user account in AD. Because
it
| > retains its security identifier (SID), a renamed user account retains
all
| > its other properties, such as its description, password, group
memberships,
| > user environment profile, account information, and any assigned
permissions
| > and rights.
| >
| > More information for your reference:
| > How to Rename User Accounts in Windows 2000 Active Directory
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260390
| >
| > Hope the information helps.
| >
| > Best Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so

| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?VGFnZ2VydA==?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: User got married and changed name. What needs to be changed
in
| > AD
| > | Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:29:02 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
| > |
| > | We are a Win2k/Win2k3 operation, with Exchange 2000 and Exchange IM
| > running.
| > | What all should I expect to need to change, and is there a best
practices
| > | kind of procedure for these instances?
| > |
| > | Thanks.
| > |
| > | Taggert
| > |

You may want to rename the mailbox alias.
There is also a bug with outlook and autocomplete/autoresolve. You will need
to delete the nk2 file that is located in the user's application
data/microsoft/outlook folder.

I have also found that the documents and settings folder never got renamed
because of the SID. You can manually rename that and then go into the
registry and find the profileguid and change the policymap attribute.