User account password forgotten

I set up a password for my user account, to log in and out of my computer. I
now dont remeber what I set my password to. The hint I set up doesnt even
help me rember it. I am fearfully of shutting my computer off, because when i
restart it I will then be locked out of my computer. Is there a way of
resetting this or deleteing the password with out having the current
password? or with out having to lose everything on my pc?

JS

Next click Start/Run
Now in the Run box, enter: control userpasswords2
Then click the OK button
Now click on the user account that you have forgotten the password
Next click Reset Password button
Finally enter a new password, confirm the new password, and then click OK.

JS

"Forggoten User account password" <Forggoten User account
news:[email protected]...

Patrick Keenan

"Forggoten User account password" <Forggoten User account
I set up a password for my user account, to log in and out of my computer.
now dont remeber what I set my password to. The hint I set up doesnt even
help me rember it. I am fearfully of shutting my computer off, because
when i
restart it I will then be locked out of my computer. Is there a way of
resetting this or deleteing the password with out having the current
password? or with out having to lose everything on my pc?

If you are still logged into your account, and you have sufficient rights,
you can change or remove your password without any ill effects.

If you are using XP Home, or are using XP Pro and have not invoked
encryption, you can change or remove your password from the Administrator
account or any other admin-level account ( If you *are* using XP pro *and*
invoked encryption, this can be disastrous). This does not require that
you know the current password.

If the XP Pro / Encryption situation applies to you, you need to back up the
account certificates NOW and/or copy the encrypted files to an unencrypted
folder or remove encryption, before attempting to change the password from
outside the account. It's very easy to permanently lose this data.

In XP Home, the Administrator account is only available via Safe Mode.
Press F8 when booting to get the selector screen for Safe Mode.

Just go to Control Panel, User Accounts.

HTH
-pk

JS, I am greatfully your response but i can not romver the password this way
I followed your instructions but the option to remove my password is nopt an
option through this process. It was very helpfull though. thank you

JS

Assuming you did not create a password for the account named:
'Administrator' (which is usually hidden from the user) and you are
referring to your own personal account then see bellow:

Note: The default password for the built in (hidden) Windows 'Administrator'
account is normally blank (none).

For XP Home users:
Boot the computer into Safe Mode
Do this by pressing the F8 key after the Power On Self Test is finished,
until the Start menu appears.
This will get you to the correct menu window.
Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden Administrator account
and any other accounts.
(Note: Accounts are displayed alphabetically).
Use the Up/down arrow keys to highlight the 'Adminstrator' account;
Remember as mentioned above: The default password is a blank (no password
required).

Also See: Forgotten your Windows XP Home password
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894902/en-us
and: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894901/

For XP Pro users:
You do not need to go into Safe Mode.
At the Welcome Screen, do/press the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys twice to display the
Windows logon box.
Type in "Administrator" (without the quotes) and 'if' you assigned a
password when you set up Windows, then enter it. (Note: by default the
password is blank, no password need be entered)

Once your in, then:
Click Start/Run/and type in: Control Userpasswords2 and then press OK
Next click on the Advanced tab and then click Manage Passwords.

Also see: How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or if your
password expires
(This Microsoft article applies to both XP Home and Pro)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305/en-us