User Account error

When I go to Control Panel, there are 2 User Accounts in the list. When I
click on either one, I get a pop up error message "Wrong number of arguments
or invalid property assignment". When ok on the error message, the User
Account form is blank.

This is a Windows XP Home edition SP2 install. I had installed a version of
Office 98 on this machine and it was working ok but I was concerned about
security issues. The problems started when I uninstalled the Office 98 so I
believe I inadvertently deleted something that is used by the OS but I don't
understand how an obsolete version of Office would effect the XP OS.

Nepatsfan

"dougwindowsxp" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
When I go to Control Panel, there are 2 User Accounts in the
list. When I click on either one, I get a pop up error
message "Wrong number of arguments or invalid property
assignment". When ok on the error message, the User
Account form is blank.

This is a Windows XP Home edition SP2 install. I had
installed a version of Office 98 on this machine and it was
working ok but I was concerned about security issues. The
problems started when I uninstalled the Office 98 so I
believe I inadvertently deleted something that is used by
the OS but I don't understand how an obsolete version of
Office would effect the XP OS.

My first inclination is to suggest you run System Restore using
a restore point created before you uninstalled Office but it
looks like that may not be an option.

If System Restore is also not working correctly, take a look at
this article. If your system displays some of the other
symptoms listed, run the olereg.vbs script available in the
Resolution section to see if it will fix your problem.

Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

ActiveX controls may not load as expected in Internet Explorer
due to defense in depth changes introduced in cumulative
security update 896688
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/olereg.htm

Good luck

Nepatsfan

You were right, I was beyond System Restore. I looked at all your
recommendations and ended up downloading and runing the olereg.vsb. This
worked and I can now get into the User Accounts form and administer the
accounts.

Thanks for your help.