Useing Windows xp "search"

G

When I try to find a "word" in a Wordperfect 11 document by useing Windows XP "search" function under "Start" I cannot get it to located the file. It finds *.doc files and names ok. I set it to look in wp 11 documents in the advanced search option but still no luck. Is there a way to find "words" etc. in wp 11 documents useing windows xp?

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Folder Options > View.
Scroll down to "Hide extensions for known file types", uncheck
the box next to it, then click "apply".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| When I try to find a "word" in a Wordperfect 11 document by useing Windows XP "search" function under
"Start" I cannot get it to located the file. It finds *.doc files and names ok. I set it to look in wp 11
documents in the advanced search option but still no luck. Is there a way to find "words" etc. in wp 11
documents useing windows xp?

A

Alex Nichol

Patros said:
When I try to find a "word" in a Wordperfect 11 document by useing Windows XP "search" function under "Start" I cannot get it to located the file. It finds *.doc files and names ok. I set it to look in wp 11 documents in the advanced search option but still no luck. Is there a way to find "words" etc. in wp 11 documents useing windows xp?

It only searches for text in a very limited number of types - they must
either have registry entries saying they are pure Text (.TXT and not
much else) or have known ;filters' to handle embedded format controls,
so that Search can avoid being confused by thinking those are characters
in 16 bit Unicode (eg .doc, .htm). You can add an additional type as
pure text provided you know that it *is* that, but that does not apply
for WordPerfect files, and as it is a competing product, MSoft do not
supply a filter. Try a third party tool - the one recommended is
www.agentransack.com

Ask a Question