Use Linux/BSD

Julie Brandon

I agree, but as it becomes simpler to use, its users become simpler.
(not in the sci-fi "brainsucking" way, but in the expanding userbase)

IMO It already has. And of course, the distros then get changed to suit the
simpler userbase, can't stand RedHat anymore because of this; too much
hacking required to get it working right for multi-user remote-Xserver
configs now.

Grazyna

Dr Halonfires LesGirl wrote in message
Grazyna said:
dave wrote in message

Well, if the owner of a linux box is the sole user and complete
idiot and/or newbie, and does any or all of the following for
starters;

[cut]

- downloads and installs binaries from unknown sources
from Russia, China, or the Balkan countries, including Poland.

Poland is definitely not a Balkan country. Not having a clue about
Linux, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions as to the accuracy of your
other statements, though ;-)).

Don't let the ignorance get to you girl. : It's another Linux user. :
Linux makes you stupid.

Thanks, Sharron :). I'll live through the little nuisance, just like the
hillbilly will get over the shock of having been called a redneck ;-).

Julie Brandon said:
Plus of course, you shouldn't hang too much on peer review, there's been a
few interesting reports detailed in NewScientist about research into the
real-world success of peer review out there, and its less than perfect.

You are quoting out of context here... the NewScientist
discussion was about Scientific journal peer review where
2, 3 or maybe as many as 5 people get to review your paper.
In the Open Source world, we are talking about thousands of
people reviewing the code. This is a completely different
situation.
However, I _am_ a big open source advocate, and prefer open source [and
source as opposed to executables] wherever possible; however I'm also aware
that it has its limitations too.

The only limitation that I can see is not enough people
getting involved and that is steadily changing.
It wouldn't be that "him" that'd be writing them though would it, it'd be
people who've spotted a vuln that others haven't; or much more likely,
someone who just uses a currently known and popular vuln that still exists
on many unpatched systems.

I think we can safely presume that anyone churning out virus
code would also be taking measures to avoid identification.
Thus the threat of punishment would not be much deterrent
unless there was a realistic liklihood of getting caught.

However, any particular vulnerability that gets used will
also get documented, published and fixed and there is no
doubt that this process is faster in the Open Source world.
Too late, if people don't then patch their systems, though. :)

I think that, on average, sys admins working on Open Source
systems tend to be a bit smarter and a bit better at reacting
to threats than the equivalent Microsoft admins. This might
be merely because the smarter admins were quickest to adopt
the better technology or maybe because (for a dopey admin)
Microsoft does a better job of hiding the problems and making
it look like everything is running smoothly without any
supervision. The fact is that every server needs a good admin
no matter what OS you choose. This will remain a fact until
serious strong-AI is achieved (which won't be soon).

- Tel

Dr Halonfires LesGirl

I was not under the impression that free speech was banned on the internet
by usenet Nazis such as yourself. : If you dont like my posts then plonk me;
see if I care.

Dr Halonfires LesGirl

BT is nothing like AOL and is in no way related.
By a couple of UK£s yes; but is useful as I pay on my phone bill.

I am unable to comment as I believe BT have never tried to do so.

I pass on that one as I think the poster has no idea what he's/she's talking
about.

And what "****ed up News client" is that then?

Even
Correct.
I don't use Linux.

Dr Halonfires LesGirl

--
Grazyna

Don't let the ignorance get to you girl. : It's another Linux user.
: Linux makes you stupid.

Thanks, Sharron :). I'll live through the little nuisance, just
like the hillbilly will get over the shock of having been called a
redneck ;-).

YeeeeeHaaaaaah sister! What in the cotton-pickin'tarnation's gon'make the
rednecks holler anyways? Just git some that there moonshine down yer and you
gon be right as rain there.
LOL.

Conor

BT is nothing like AOL and is in no way related.
Woooosh....

And what "****ed up News client" is that then?

begin an example of an OE bug

--
________________________
Conor Turton

kurt wismer

Dr said:
I have a bisexual girlfriend who would agree with you.

uh huh... i see...

have you been introduced to laura fredricks yet? i think you two would
get along famously...

Dr Halonfires LesGirl

Interesting possibly; but celibacy is the order of the day despite anything
else for the forseeable future. During this period I am and remain a
born-again virgin.

FromTheRafters

Grazyna said:
dave wrote in message

Well, if the owner of a linux box is the sole user and complete
idiot and/or newbie, and does any or all of the following for
starters;

[cut]

- downloads and installs binaries from unknown sources
from Russia, China, or the Balkan countries, including Poland.

Poland is definitely not a Balkan country. Not having a clue about
Linux, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions as to the accuracy of your
other statements, though ;-)).

Don't let the ignorance get to you girl. : It's another Linux user. :
Linux makes you stupid.

Thanks, Sharron :). I'll live through the little nuisance, just like the
hillbilly will get over the shock of having been called a redneck ;-).

Ne'er gonna happen, that boy's done gone 'n' got my hackles up! LOL

FromTheRafters

kurt wismer said:
FromTheRafters said:
kurt wismer said:
Dr Halonfires LesGirl wrote:
[snip]

LOL probably something to do with the substandardness of Linux.

y'know, you really shouldn't smear the good name of linux just because
of a few dolts that latched on to it for all the wrong reasons... it's
actually quite a good OS...

I agree, but as it becomes simpler to use, its users become simpler.

simpler than windows users?

Hey, lets not go overboard! :O)

Dr Halonfires LesGirl

FromTheRafters said:
kurt wismer said:
FromTheRafters wrote:

Dr Halonfires LesGirl wrote:
[snip]

LOL probably something to do with the substandardness of Linux.

y'know, you really shouldn't smear the good name of linux just
because
of a few dolts that latched on to it for all the wrong reasons...
it's
actually quite a good OS...

I agree, but as it becomes simpler to use, its users become
simpler.

simpler than windows users?

Hey, lets not go overboard! :O)

OK I was going to drop the flame on this thread; but I see we have a saucy
Linux victim here who is trying to blame Windows for the kind of stupidity
induced by the overuse of Linux; aka abuse of a computer.

Please explain why you find it such a strain to comprehend the damage that
belief in and usage of Linux has caused personally to your brain?

kurt wismer

Dr said:
FromTheRafters said:
FromTheRafters wrote: [snip]
I agree, but as it becomes simpler to use, its users become
simpler.

simpler than windows users?

Hey, lets not go overboard! :O)

OK I was going to drop the flame on this thread; but I see we have a saucy
Linux victim here who is trying to blame Windows for the kind of stupidity
induced by the overuse of Linux; aka abuse of a computer.

Please explain why you find it such a strain to comprehend the damage that
belief in and usage of Linux has caused personally to your brain?

oh my... a puzzle... who might this mystery linux victim be? is it
FromTheRafters? hmmm... his headers say

that doesn't sound very linuxy to me... maybe it's me... lets go check...

well, mozilla certainly isn't part of windows, but windows nt 5.1 (aka
XP) certainly sounds windowsy to me...

kudos on your keep powers of observation, you've somehow managed to
find a linux victim hidden in the ether...

FromTheRafters

kurt wismer said:
Dr said:
FromTheRafters said:
FromTheRafters wrote: [snip]
I agree, but as it becomes simpler to use, its users become
simpler.

simpler than windows users?

Hey, lets not go overboard! :O)

OK I was going to drop the flame on this thread; but I see we have a saucy
Linux victim here who is trying to blame Windows for the kind of stupidity
induced by the overuse of Linux; aka abuse of a computer.

Please explain why you find it such a strain to comprehend the damage that
belief in and usage of Linux has caused personally to your brain?

I think you misunderstand my point of view. It used to be that
only those interested in the technology could figure out how to
configure a personal computer to do anything useful. Then, in
an effort to sell computers (and software) to the masses, there
came the idea of "user friendliness". Now *anyone* could do
it, and the computing community is filled with people who don't
really give a damn about how it is done, or how to do it right.

Linux at this time still required that the user have a clue. Things
were not all set up for use as a default.

Enter the Linux operating systems distributors ~ adopting the
exact same philosophy i.e. "lets make it so any idiot can put
the installation CD into the tray and push a button to make
a default installation provide a "rich, straight out of the box
experience". Now *anyone* can have a working Linux box,
~ no clue required ~ even me :blush:D

The more 'mainstream' Linux becomes, the closer the mindset
of its userbase will approach that of Windows. Leave it to the
mathematicians do determine whether or not this is asymtotic
oh my... a puzzle... who might this mystery linux victim be? is it
FromTheRafters? hmmm... his headers say

Ah, but one of my other computers uses grub to boot, I think
that would qualify. It shouldn't be assumed that a person posts
with his or her *only* computer, operating system, or usenet
news program.

kurt wismer

FromTheRafters said:
Ah, but one of my other computers uses grub to boot, I think
that would qualify. It shouldn't be assumed that a person posts
with his or her *only* computer, operating system, or usenet
news program.

if you still use windows i don't think you can legitimately qualify as
a "linux victim"... that term seems to indicate an individual who has
fallen for linux propaganda and spreads that propaganda further...

in essense, a victim of a 'linux rulez' meme virus...

FromTheRafters

dave said:
Well, for viruses, I can only recall
"Bliss" and "Stoag" off the top off my head

Well, I suppose you can add those two to the above list.
[ well okay, near the top, behind the metal plate :) ].

....does it eliminate that overwhelming need for the tinfoil hat?
(I never wear mine out in public, that's what aluminum is for)
I agree with you, there are probably more. However, most
( not all ) Linux users know enough to protect themselves
from them by now, if not in the future.

....but when that future brings more, will they be clueful
enough to keep abreast of errant applications as they
arrive? ...or will they be virus complaisant by believing
that the OS can't be subverted by an add on?
I never mentioned immune; I merely mentioned cheaper

Your "do the math" section implied that the Linux OS was
somehow responsible for the numbers you quoted. Be that
as it may, the numbers you quoted were incorrect.
If I have to pay $499 for Windows XP, why can't
I merely purchase a version of Slackware,
or OpenBSD, for $75 USD instead, and spend some
time patching it for the life of my computer instead?

No argument there..
Sounds like good business sense to me.

Me too, and the additional plus is that there will be a wider
variation between individual installations of the open source
OSs. With Windows bundling so many applications suites
with the OS...it's like a street with identical houses all in a
row...all having easily removable sliding glass doors in the
rear.
Again, I never did say that; I said it was cheaper < hehe >

Then why even mention virusability?