Use Level Security Shortcut

G

Hello, I'm setting up user level security on an Access database that I
created. I used the wizard and the security works fine on my desktop because
an actual shortcut to the mdw was setup by the wizard on my desktop. My
problem is there are five other users that don't have the shortcut on their
desktop which is the only way the database can be opened. I tried copying and
pasting my shortcut to another users desktop but that didn't work. All the
versions are 2000 and up. Any suggestions please? Thanks.

Bruce

J

Joan Wild

Have you split the database? Since you secured it, you should split it manually. See www.jmwild.com/SplitSecure.htm

You'd put the backend on your server, and give each user a copy of the frontend on their computer. Also put the secure mdw on the server.

If you look at the properties of the shortcut (right-click it) on your computer, you'll see it takes the form of
"path to msaccess.exe" "path to mdb" /wrkgrp "path to secure mdw"

Change the paths to reflect the location of the frontend on your PC, and the path to the secure mdw, which you put on the server.

Although you can try copying it to other users, it will only work if you put the frontend in the same location on each machine, and if everyone has the same version of Access installed in the same location (otherwise, just modify the path to msaccess.exe to reflect its location on each PC). The 'path to secure mdw' can be a UNC path (\\servername\path\...) rather than a mapped drive.

Ask a Question